Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Music.

Everything is done in the appropriately named Music app. Kill the iTunes store app. Rename iTunes on OS X to Music. Remove videos and give it it's own app like iBooks.

Would solve the weirdness of the same icon on iOS and OS X being called different names and doing different things, and that the music icon will be strictly for music.

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core
It'll be called Apple Beats :)apple:Beats) and probably be a standalone app with many more features and a new high quality flac-like lossless audio format :rolleyes:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Music.

Everything is done in the appropriately named Music app. Kill the iTunes store app. Rename iTunes on OS X to Music. Remove videos and give it it's own app like iBooks.

Would solve the weirdness of the same icon on iOS and OS X being called different names and doing different things, and that the music icon will be strictly for music.

But for those who sync their iPhone and iPad content (apps, contacts, calendars, etc.) through iTunes... are they going to be told to sync their iPhone to "Music"?

The iTunes application on OSX is a very beefy app that does A LOT of things. For better or worse, stuff just kept getting added over the years.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Pfft, iTunes Radio is still not available in the UK. If Apple are gonna do a music service, they need to stop with these delays and just get it right the first time so they can do an international release.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
But for those who sync their iPhone and iPad content (apps, contacts, calendars, etc.) through iTunes... are they going to be told to sync their iPhone to "Music"?

The iTunes application on OSX is a very beefy app that does A LOT of things. For better or worse, stuff just kept getting added over the years.

Revamp "iSync", it's there, has been well before the iPhone as a conduit for syncing Contacts, Calendars, etc. in OS X with non-Apple devices.

A lot of us at Apple agree, iTunes should be "stripped down" to music. iBooks has its own bookstore, iMovie could handle Movie and Television purchases, the OS X App Store could bridge with iOS App's, allowing iSync to handle syncing.

For those of us using iTunes 12 beta, notice how this is halfway achieved? Each store is now accessed by the category you are in, that is you cannot access the Movie Store if you're in the Music section in iTunes.

The only issue would be non-OS X systems, and that is why Apple has not changed iTunes. Engineers would have to create MS counterparts for iMovie, iBooks, App's, etc. unless they leave iTunes for Windows untouched (which they could).

Yes, TechCrunch did yesterday. LOL. :eek:

Well... So there are 4 feasible options of what Apple could do with beats music (applies to any acquisition)
1) kill it entirely. don't use it
2) kill the branding, but incorporoate its features into your own services
3) Keep the branding, but modify the service in accoradance with your corporate strategy
4) keep the service, completely unchanged. Allow the service to run independently

1 is idiotic. 4 is completely unlike apple. Either 2 or 3 are most obviuosly what Apple would do. But when you hear whispers about 2 it can sound an awful lot like 1. Heck, Apple media is so sensational that the official report could actually be 2, but then everyone blasts 1 accross the internet because it's a good headline (then burry the 2 details in the story)

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Pfft, iTunes Radio is still not available in the UK. If Apple are gonna do a music service, they need to stop with these delays and just get it right the first time so they can do an international release.

I'm guessing the problem is with the individual music companies here in the UK that want to protect their revenue.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Hopefully iTunes will be a seperate app from the store for the Mac. It's like that on iOS devices so it should be any different.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Gotta say I'm digging subscription music. The only thing that sucks a little is content. Some artist (Black Keys/Coldplay/Radiohead/Beatles etc) don't have content or are not allowing new content.

If Apple can get all the artist to play ball this will be a serious coup and the way to go music wise.

I only have a few options in Canada that let you download the tracks to a device Xbox music, google play music all access, and spotify. Spotify has Zeppelin so a little better on the content front but I locked in with GPMAA at $7.99 so I'll be sticking with that for now. Spotify also doesn't have a web based setup which kind of hurts when I want to log on at work.

If apple brings the content at 9.99 a month or less I could switch.

ohsnaphappy

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
I switched from Spotify to Beats after the acquisition. I'm a music nut. Main reason I switched - future Siri/Beats integration. Apple Tv - already happened. Beats native Airplay support.

Really need a desktop App.

iPad app desperately needs permanent search icon.

iTunes Match should come with Beats subscription.

Beats should know all about my iTunes library, like Google Play.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I switched from Spotify to Beats after the acquisition. I'm a music nut. Main reason I switched - future Siri/Beats integration. Apple Tv - already happened. Beats native Airplay support.

Really need a desktop App.

iPad app desperately needs permanent search icon.

iTunes Match should come with Beats subscription.

Beats should know all about my iTunes library, like Google Play.

I'm guessing this is what's about to occur :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.