Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-07-25T134214Z_01_L24884216_RTRUKOC_0_US-BLOWUPMAN.xml&src=rss

somehow this article amuses me SO much, just because the picture bears such a resemblance to the autopilot in "Airplane"

otto.jpg
vs
genImage.aspx

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Hasn't this been around for years?

According to research by the inflatable friend's creator, insurer Sheilas' Wheels, 82 percent of women feel safer with someone sitting in the car beside them and nearly a half don't like driving alone in the dark.
Unless this doll can change a flat or beat off a car jacker, I can't imagine either women or criminals being stupid enough for this to sell well.

L

Lau

emw said:
Unless this doll can change a flat or beat off a car jacker, I can't imagine either women or criminals being stupid enough for this to sell well.

Well, that's one way of calming him down. ;)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
"We're not saying that an inflatable man is the only answer but we do hope it will give women extra confidence and make journeys in the dark less fearful," said Jacky Brown, the spokeswoman for Sheilas' Wheels.
I know that, if I were a woman, knowing I had an incredibly non-lifelike balloon next to me would cause me exude confidence when driving those dark streets at night.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Lau said:
Well, that's one way of calming him down. ;)
I just laughed so hard I'm crying. :D

Which, come to think of it, may also be any potential criminal's reaction, giving the woman time to get away.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
ROTFLOL!

Car pool lanes...

'bout wet my pants when I read:"appears at a flick of a switch and when a woman has finished using him, she can just pull the plug and he deflates"

Just can't make this stuff up...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
jsw said:
I know that, if I were a woman, knowing I had an incredibly non-lifelike balloon next to me would cause me exude confidence when driving those dark streets at night.

Whenever I have to drive at night, I just keep my cellphone in my lap, double-check to make sure the windows and doors are up and locked, and I freaking GUN it, esp. if I'm in a less-than-nice part of town.
Then again, I'm perpetually nervous about car jackings and do this, even at 2 in the afternoon.

While I can understand some women (and men, too) being nervous driving at night, this stupid doll ain't gonna do squat for you.

I'm just waiting for the day I get a flat tire near Uni at night, and I sit and cry in my car until daylight. *shudder*

I can see it now:
car jacker: "Hmm.. that looks like a nice hyundai!"
inflatable man: *50 yard stare*
car jacker: *runs off, terrified*
:rolleyes:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
People make fun...but in the fast thinking required before you decide to jack a car at night, if you see two silhouettes it'd be a lot easier to not take the chance and jack the next car that comes along.

Honestly, it's funny to think about, but the people considering carjacking will be doing it at night, looking through the car windows, from a distance. You don't want to take the risk that the second person in the car has a gun in the glove compartment...

If you see two people in a car, the requirements for jacking it go from just having a gun to having a gun and steel balls. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.