Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
So I am moving on saturday and switched to charter. I have an airport express, an ipad, and the airport utility app. Could the internet actually be set up, initially, without having to go through a pc? Could I just connect the modem to the airport and go through the airport ulilty app to set everything up, or would an actual computer be needed?

I did call charter and asked, but they just seemed clueless as to what I was talkng about, so wonder if any of you have tried this? Thanks.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You should be able to pre-configure your AE so you're ready to just connect to the internet when they bring the modem. If they require an authentication, be ready to configure it in the AU when they come to set you up. Otherwise, it should be the same as connecting a PC, no matter which device you're connecting first.

If they require that the internet-facing MAC address be registered, be absolutely sure you use the AE first or you'll have hoops to jump through when you switch to the AE after initial set up with the Mac.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I am moving on saturday and switched to charter. I have an airport express, an ipad, and the airport utility app. Could the internet actually be set up, initially, without having to go through a pc? Could I just connect the modem to the airport and go through the airport ulilty app to set everything up, or would an actual computer be needed?

I did call charter and asked, but they just seemed clueless as to what I was talkng about, so wonder if any of you have tried this? Thanks.

You do not need a computer. You can completely configure the AE using nothing but the Airport Utility on an iPad.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks. I knew I could configure the router...just was not sure if charter needed a computer to configure the modem first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.