Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
After watching some of the new Leopard features, I'm not too incredibly impressed with what was shown at WWDC. Of course, I know there are some Top Secret updates that will most certainly be wonderful when the final release happens.

However, does anyone on the forums have a truly unique innovative idea that they would like to see implemented into Leopard? I'm not suggesting a different Finder skin or resolution independence. I'm talking about something that hasn't been done that they think would be really great for everyday Mac users.

Anybody have anything?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mad jew said:
I'd prefer stability over innovation. Tiger brought in quite a few innovative features and hopefully Leopard will perfect them. :)

That should be free. :)

I'd like to see a new kind of Finder and the way they were talking about Spotlight, we might see that instead of Finder at some point.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
BWhaler said:
I think iChat is very innovative.

You're welcome to think that but text balloons aren't a great innovation to me. However, in the 3rd generation they're finally going to support things like invisibility that had been implemented elsewhere when the first iChat arrived. I will admit that video + voice has been reasonably stable but they weren't the first.

I'd like to think that Apple has more secrets than even I could hope that will be arriving in Leopard but that would be difficult to believe.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
I think innovation is an odd word.

See, the way I see it, there are not many *new* ideas in software these days. I think that what really matters is the execution of those ideas, and from what I saw in the Leopard preview, it looks great.

I see innovation as the perfection of an older idea into something new. For instance, I think Time Machine is great. The idea is not new, but they way they pulled it off ... it's just great IMO.

I am tempted to put on a bald cap and shout "Engage!" as I click Time Machine ...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
shrimpdesign said:
I think innovation is an odd word.

See, the way I see it, there are not many *new* ideas in software these days. I think that what really matters is the execution of those ideas, and from what I saw in the Leopard preview, it looks great.

I see innovation as the perfection of an older idea into something new. For instance, I think Time Machine is great. The idea is not new, but they way they pulled it off ... it's just great IMO.

I am tempted to put on a bald cap and shout "Engage!" as I click Time Machine ...

Renovation is probably the word of choice instead of innovation. :)

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent! We want BitTorrent!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
hyperpasta said:
We want BitTorrent!

We do?

Built in?

You know that's not going to happen, right?

Apple got into bed with RIAA to bring FairPlay to the world (but keep it from the world) and make downloading music "legal".
I'd not expect them to slap a pirate-soft in there and call it iSteal or some ****. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
hyperpasta said:
BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent BitTorrent! We want BitTorrent!

Use Opera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.