Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
When I get an answer. What's wrong with asking for sources and/or credibility of sources when given information?

I'd believe that a SR-71 engine was part of the inspiration, and that Apple is hoping that other PC manufacturers have to follow suit. But I'm not necessarily buying everything in the OP's post. OP seems like somebody who likely knew something on the Mac Pro team, but not necessarily a long timer or someone who's a member of the team.

In all likelyhood, OP isn't an Apple employee. An Apple employee wouldn't risk their job in a post like this. They also wouldn't want to compare to the G5's water-cooling for obvious reasons. :)

MiJuConcept

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Australia
I'd believe that a SR-71 engine was part of the inspiration, and that Apple is hoping that other PC manufacturers have to follow suit. But I'm not necessarily buying everything in the OP's post. OP seems like somebody who likely knew something on the Mac Pro team, but not necessarily a long timer or someone who's a member of the team.

In all likelyhood, OP isn't an Apple employee. An Apple employee wouldn't risk their job in a post like this. They also wouldn't want to compare to the G5's water-cooling for obvious reasons. :)

That is correct. Apple employees are not allowed to leak design concepts.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
That is correct. Apple employees are not allowed to leak design concepts.

So, there is no "insider" and all of this is actually just your thoughts and/or opinions.

If you start a thread titled, "Insider preview of the 2013 Mac Pro design principles.", I would have hoped there would actually be an insider involved.

----------

An Apple employee wouldn't risk their job in a post like this.

Yes, I'm aware of this, which is why I found the thread extremely questionable and asked the questions that I asked.

MiJuConcept

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Australia
So, there is no "insider" and all of this is actually just your thoughts and/or opinions.

If you start a thread titled, "Insider preview of the 2013 Mac Pro design principles.", I would have hoped there would actually be an insider involved.
----------

Yes, I'm aware of this, which is why I found the thread extremely questionable and asked the questions that I asked.

If the thread says insider, then it means insider. It doesn't mean Apple approved this thread.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
If the thread says insider, then it means insider. It doesn't mean Apple approved this thread.

None of your posts mention anything about this insider. Did it all come to you in a dream?

I never asked if Apple approved of this thread. That would be rhetorical.

So, we are supposed to believe you got your info from this insider just because you say so? Wouldn't that be a bit naive?

Btw, I also always question news articles citing "unnamed sources".

MiJuConcept

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Australia
None of your posts mention anything about this insider. Did it all come to you in a dream?

I never asked if Apple approved of this thread. That would be rhetorical.

So, we are supposed to believe you got your info from this insider just because you say so? Wouldn't that be a bit naive?

Btw, I also always question news articles citing "unnamed sources".

Forgive me for assuming a rumour site would accept rumours. Maybe you can take another option. Chill out.

There are aspects to the design which are not public domain and never will be. But other aspects, such as the aesthetic composition which are largely apparent and self explanatory once you align the ideas together and start seeing how the genesis took place.

Like all stories about design, they have a firm foundation in a specific idea. End of story.

MiJuConcept

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Australia
None of your posts mention anything about rumors. Everything was stated as fact, so I questioned.

Forgive me for not buying the snake oil.

I'm glad we settled that. Now the rest of us can get back to postulating what else it could have been or how well the design brief fits the final product.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You would have to be Apple to get something that expensive past the financial controller. That is why hyperbole plays a crucial role in pushing the design over the justification hump.

The case is built from the beaks of a thousand eagles. There is also some eagle under the heatsinks.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Unlikely. The terminal velocity is probably less than the speed of an air liner.

I love that movie!

3H8e0ox.jpg

I still have no idea what's going on in this thread. SR71's are pretty neat though, I wonder if the new Mac Pro will be detected by radar.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I love that movie!

I still have no idea what's going on in this thread. SR71's are pretty neat though, I wonder if the new Mac Pro will be detected by radar.

They'll definitely be an infra red signature transcoding with FCPX - a Hog can drop a Maverick right on it.

The Hog is one of the most pig ugly aircraft that's ever flown but that's certainly built with less compromise. Titanium cockpit bath, cannon shells the size of milk bottles, being able to survive with an engine shot off.... :D

I love it nearly as much as Concorde. I don't just appreciate aircraft for their looks.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
The risk was that producing another computer which didn't meet EU standards would be a problem.

that 'risk' was ridiculously low. The EU standards didn't suddenly appear out of nowhere. They actually were passed the around the same time Apple was finishing up the last Mac Pro design in late 2007-2008. A bit late to weave into what likely was partially committed to 2009 instance inside of 2008, but far more than generous amount of time for anyone working on something in 2010 destine for 2012.

Apple had nothing new in 2012. that's is likely true because they were not working on anything in 2010 and a good chunk of 2011.

There is very little here that couldn't have been released in June-July 2012 if Apple had been working on it. The FirePro GPUs that these are derived from were appeared in June 2012. The Xeon E5 v1 were shipping in volume around the same time. They couldn't have done something that a "12 core" ( so would have temporarily backslid on max core count) but

The thickness of the shell and the firm seal which closes the shell against the thermal core gives you some idea

Casing shell on the thermal core? Where? It doesn't particularly touch it at all.

how much attention was given to eradicating EMC restrictions.

There was no radical redesign driven by the EU restrictions. HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc all still have the "box with slots" model.

Everything was built around the tunnel in the middle.

The design objective to make this about 1/2 as quiet as the previous Mac Pro is one of the drivers of that. One large diameter (lower RPM ) fan gets you both one "tunnel" and the circular shape. As I highlighted before the "sit on desk and be very quiet" is an very old Mac design objective from the dawn of the Macintosh. There is no sudden EU restriction or Dr Who 50th or SR-71 50th celebration tied to it.

macines

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah and also Hitler is still alive and is really living among us up to this very day.

All just pure speculation, based on nothing but dust and rust.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I dont deny you the right of refusal but have you seen a better summary ? The idea of extreme power and speed!

None of the following sound like extreme power and speed, and they all sound like compromises:

• Fewer CPU sockets
  • Fewer memory slots
  • 2-year old GPUs
  • Dual GPUs with no Crossfire support in the OS
  • PSU with insufficient power for top end configuration
  • An external interface that is slower and more expensive than the internal interface that it replaces
  • The promise of whisper-quiet computing that will be ruined by whiny hard drives in external boxes (drives that are quieter mounted internally)
  • Inability to grate cheese

It does have motion-detecting glowy ports on the back though!

MiJuConcept

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
Australia
None of the following sound like extreme power and speed, and they all sound like compromises:

• Fewer CPU sockets
  • Fewer memory slots
  • 2-year old GPUs
  • Dual GPUs with no Crossfire support in the OS
  • PSU with insufficient power for top end configuration
  • An external interface that is slower and more expensive than the internal interface that it replaces
  • The promise of whisper-quiet computing that will be ruined by whiny hard drives in external boxes (drives that are quieter mounted internally)
  • Inability to grate cheese

It does have motion-detecting glowy ports on the back though!

Which part of this design isn't asking people to rethink computing ?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I assume if you dropped your Mac Pro from 80,000 feet it would set the world record for fastest computer of all time...
Unlikely. The terminal velocity is probably less than the speed of an air liner.

Moot point, as there's been several computers which have 'fallen' from greater heights.

For example, there's been an HP-41CV calcuator that's ridden on the Space Shuttle, which peaks at around Mach 25 on reentry. Plus the Space Shuttles control computers themselves were IIRC simply just hardened IBM PCs.

-hh

PS:

"Which part of this design isn't asking people to rethink computing?"

... well when not even Samsung is willing to copy your design ...

Last edited:

Rich.Cohen

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Washington DC
Moot point, as there's been several computers which have 'fallen' from greater heights.

For example, there's been an HP-41CV calcuator that's ridden on the Space Shuttle, which peaks at around Mach 25 on reentry. Plus the Space Shuttles control computers themselves were IIRC simply just hardened IBM PCs.

-hh

PS:

"Which part of this design isn't asking people to rethink computing?"

... well when not even Samsung is willing to copy your design ...

Excellent point!

You know, I would argue that the nMP has more in common with the design of a Coke can than with the SR-71. :)

I still plan to buy one though. That is a Mac Pro. I don't drink soda.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.