Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samuraix98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Now I'm sure this really doesn't hit the new icon, for which I have found a cute and loving approach to the cat icon.
Kitty Cat Icon

But my real question is, which one of the "keep my mac awake" applications would be most suitable to get. I do a lot of work with an external monitor, and sometimes watch movies thought hate that sadly daunting blue glow from the screen in a dark room.

What's the difference between InsomniaX and Caffeine? Are there any other apps out there that might be even better?

Just wondering, Thanks.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
What's the difference between InsomniaX and Caffeine? Are there any other apps out there that might be even better?

To be honest, I could never work out whether Caffeine was on or off, and a lot of the time, whichever state I chose for the app, my downloads would be interrupted when I closed the lid (which is my main reason for NOT wanting the laptop to sleep).

InsomniaX, on the other hand, does exactly what it says on the tin. I may just be a bit thick, but I could never get Caffeine to work the way I wanted.

Cheers!

Jim

samuraix98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
what's with the InsomniaX hibernation mode? Is it some sort of hibernation as in on a windows machine, or does it relate to a different sleeping status.

Also it enables on my machine, thought when i try to disable it I get that super crazy warning message. Should I disable it or just let it run?

Just wondering.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
To be honest, I could never work out whether Caffeine was on or off, and a lot of the time, whichever state I chose for the app, my downloads would be interrupted when I closed the lid (which is my main reason for NOT wanting the laptop to sleep).

InsomniaX, on the other hand, does exactly what it says on the tin. I may just be a bit thick, but I could never get Caffeine to work the way I wanted.

Cheers!

Jim

caffeine only prevents your display from going to sleep, very helpful while watching movies :)

insomniax on the other hand, prevents your computer from going to sleep when u close the lid :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.