Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I seem to be having an issue with both my Mac Mini & Macbook Air on Sierra and wondering what I can do to fix it. When I get a Beta update, it seems to go from the downloading bar to installing. Then after a few minutes it tells me to restart my computer. So I restart the computer and it shows the Apple Logo with the loading bar and it only goes maybe 2 inches a freezes. It will just stay that way. After about 5 minutes I will hold down the power button and restart, it will then go through the boot, and restart again and then come back on to the lock screen. Once I put my password in and it logs in, all my windows are open and I go to About Mac and it shows the update installed.
Is this a common issue or is there a fix for this? It's making me worry if the update really installed.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I was able to fix the issue on my MBA by resetting the NVRAM. Power up and hold down CMD-OPT-P-R
Then I stopped the betas and cleared the catalog using terminal.
sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

After that I reinstalled the beta profile and installed the update. It took like 3 times to get the update to download so that may be a Apple issue. It then restarted the computer, froze at the mark again but restarted after 5 minutes and went to the normal install screen with the install information below the progress bar.

So I did the same on my Mac Mini and hoping the next beta update will install correctly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.