Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobinInOR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
No suggestions, but I'll be watching because I'm planning on doing this on the weekend. My current install of Handbrake/libdvdcss is giving me problems in Mojave - most dvds are giving me region errors, though I was able to get through a dvd of Chicago PD OK.

I'm running the daily build of Handbrake - that helped some. And I think I read somewhere that it uses libdvdnav? There was a change somewhere, that's why I needed the weekend to research :)

Did you try installing MakeMKV and using that? I think it also has some of these libraries that Handbrake can reference.

Topics for research lol...

When I originally installed libdvdcss I used homebrew:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

brew install libdvdcss

Elebato

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
This is a posting from the official Handbrake forum explaining why libdvdcss is not supported by Handbrake:

Handbrake isn't intended to be a ripper. The library that is used for decoding DVD file structures CAN have a third-party library to decrypt the video, and it works a lot of the time, but not always.

This is why handbrake doesn't support it - the developers have no control over that third-party library and how it is integrated. And Apple has quite often done things to break that linkage - virtually every "named" OS X/MacOS update in this decade has disrupted it in different ways.

The suggested use of a dedicated ripping application removes this problem; compatibility with your operating system version falls to the developer of THAT application, and what you present to handbrake is unencrypted and "complete".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.