Install script for version 4...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by jbeetz, Jan 21, 2004.

1. jbeetz macrumors member

Has anyone tried this? I found it through the folding community board and looking at the release notes, it appears to be version 4 compatible.

http://www.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall

2. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i started on a v4 script 2 days ago

i ran into a problem with complex bash aliases, but it is nearly complete. once i get the DP script going, all i will need to do is change a few things and i'll have a SP script. ill have to update the documentation too, since i changed the install a lot

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Excellent - will this new version increase our speed?

D

4. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

not by much, if any i'm afraid (but stability isues??)

the speed is to be had in the cores since they run nearly 100% of the time

ok got home late from the soccer game and all but tested my DP script and everything works in both bash and tcsh

next step is to do documentation and modify for SP

5. twiztidn8v macrumors member

I was wondering, on the macs I'm running, I'm just using cron, what's the difference between using cron and using the script? I've never seen it used before, and I would like to know what it does, how it does it, and what, if any, is the gain for using mc68k's script?

6. maineroad macrumors newbie

Directory options?

Any way to include an option in the new v.4 script to allow the user to choose which directory location the script places the F@H directory?

Reason being I do rouge installs from time to time. I'd rather bury the directory in a nested folder deep inside the user's home folder, rather than have it sit in the relative "openness" of the home directory.

Either making this an option in v.4 or telling me how to modifty the script to default to a different directory location would be nice.

Just FYI, I don't have admin privilages for any of the rouge installs.

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Directory options?

insetad of ~/F@H1 and/or ~/F@H2, for setup it would have to use a shell variable to define the path to the folders

the only problem with this would be more confusion, but i think with a simple y/n option, most ppl would pick no and they would be fine

what excatly is a rouge install?

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

the script has automated install, removal, and shell aliases for easy launching, stopping, pausing, and resuming

if you know how to set up folding, then there's not too many benefits from using my scripts. all they basically do is type in commands that a learned terminal user would type from the command line. the main advantage is the time u'll save through of ease of use

i use cron in my scripts for launching 1 or 2 folding processes at reboot. there are also aliases for finer control after the boot, incase ppl dont want it running all the time

it is easier to type in 'start' then type in:

cd folding dir1; ./fah4 -local -advmethods > /dev/null &
    cd folding dir2; ./fah4 -local -advmethods > /dev/null &

9. jbeetz thread starter macrumors member

Re: Directory options?

maineroad...

this will probably take some experimentation but I don't think it's impossible. It appears that fah4 all by itself sets up the Folding@home directory in the users library folder, which is a public if not somewhat obscure place. But, if the fah4 application is in a directory and is invoked with the -local option, then it appears that the app will write all of its phnee in that directory... otherwise it seems to want to look for the Folding@home directory it created by default when first run. This is an issue to dual proc machines, as they have to keep two sets of work info separate from each other.

So. *nix has a nice "featurette" for hiding things like filenames and directories from the casual observer. If a directory starts with a period, then it isn't displayed in a normal "ls" command and doesn't appear in the finder (I'm pretty sure about the finder bit, but haven't taken the time to make dang sure!). To see these files/directories, you have to add the -a flag. So to hide your rogue installation, I'd try putting it into a directory whose name starts with a period, then making sure the fah4 application is in that folder, then invoke it with the -local option.

Another stealthy way is to set up root on a machine, then as root use mc68k's script to autoboot fah4. This way it runs ALL the time, even under the login screen. Process view shows it as belonging to root, so most casual people won't pay much attention, although it does use 100% cpu which in itself should raise an eyebrow or two.

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: Re: Directory options?

this is correct.

u have to make sure ur actually in the working directory of the binary, otherwise it will use the current directory. so if ur in ~ and you invoke ~/F@H1/fah4 -local it will look for the files in ~

there is a way to find dot-prefixed files in the Finder. you can use the find command with the option 'visibility' set to all, or you can use the 'Go' menu and type in the path directly, i.e ~/Documents/.Folding@home i dont think there is any way to make dot-files in the finder

cron runs all user tabs at boot, regardless of privledge. so any user's tab will run behind the login screen if the @reboot prefix is specified. u could even invoke folding from the rc file, if the user in question is crontab-savvy