Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FriscoJohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
I have an older G-5 desktop with 10.3.9 installed. I need to upgrade it to Tiger. The Built-in DVD drive doesn't work. (I seldom have need to use DVDs, and have an external CD drive).

Bought Tiger today, and it, of course, is on DVD. It is currently happily installing on my PowerBook G-4.

Can I install it on my G-5 desktop via fire wire? I'm thinking of hooking my PB via fire wire to the G-5 in "target mode". I know my PB hard drive will appear on the desktop. Will the G-5 be able to see the DVD drive in the PB? Can I install (actually, upgrade) panther to tiger in my G-5 that way?

Many thanks in advance for help/suggestions.

PS If it won't work from my PB, will it install from an external DVD drive? I may be able to borrow one.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
Yes, if you connect your machines with a firewire cable, the hard drive on the target machine will simply appear as an external disk on the other machine. So if you boot your G5 desktop in target mode you can install Tiger from your PowerBook. I did something similar today, so your post is timely (for me, at least). Good luck.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
yah do as FriscoJohn said I used to have to do it allot with one of my comps that the drive didnt work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.