Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
Hi, I just received a flashed 7800GTX for my G5 Quad. I previously have an Ati X1900 GT card installed. I am wondering if it's safe to use the power cables that powered the Ati X1900 GT card in my mac to power the 7800GTX. The cables that were sent to me with the nvidia card was a typical power cable but with a splitter at the end and isn't very long. Thanx for the help.

CL

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
ok, i've installed it with the ati power cable but it's working except that it's so slow compared to my X1900. The fps are really slow. I don't know what's wrong...

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
ok, i've installed it with the ati power cable but it's working except that it's so slow compared to my X1900. The fps are really slow. I don't know what's wrong...
That is very strange. I am running a flashed 7800GTX in my Quad and it is noticeably faster than my previous X1900. For some tasks the two cards are very similar in performance, but for my racing games, the 7800 performs better. Hmmm...

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
That is very strange. I am running a flashed 7800GTX in my Quad and it is noticeably faster than my previous X1900. For some tasks the two cards are very similar in performance, but for my racing games, the 7800 performs better. Hmmm...

how did you power the card? With the ATI power cable that goes from your motherboard to the card or did you patch it from a hard drive to the card? Thanx

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
how did you power the card? With the ATI power cable that goes from your motherboard to the card or did you patch it from a hard drive to the card? Thanx
Board to the card. Just out of curiosity, what rom version for the card?

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
i actually don't know. How can you check? I bought it off the internet

well, i bought the 7800 GT version, and that's what it shows in the system profiler as well. The card is pretty big, takes up 2 PCI-e lanes. Maybe they flashed a GTX to GT? I can include some pics...

update: I started up my system under 10.4 and the performance is now on par or a tiny bit better than my x1900. I guess it wasn't flashed for 10.5 well enough....:(

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
i actually don't know. How can you check? I bought it off the internet

well, i bought the 7800 GT version, and that's what it shows in the system profiler as well. The card is pretty big, takes up 2 PCI-e lanes. Maybe they flashed a GTX to GT? I can include some pics...

update: I started up my system under 10.4 and the performance is now on par or a tiny bit better than my x1900. I guess it wasn't flashed for 10.5 well enough....:(

The 7800 gtx should show up in your profiler as the nvidia fx quadro 4500 with 512 mb vram with the latest 2149 rom version. This is the flashed version that is most suitable to your Quad and works well in 10.5 also. But it does work better under 10.4 as it is a little more streamlined than leopard. You can check that in the profiler under the graphics section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.