Installing Linux on a PC using a Mac and Floppys?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pretentious, Jun 28, 2003.

1. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I know some of you guys use Linux, and so I'm hoping that someone could help.
    Heres the deal, I'm currently using an older beige Macintosh running Mac OS 8.6, I just got an old PC (HP 200MHZ P1). The computer had Win98 installed but now Windows won't boot. I don't have a Windows disk to fix this, nor the money to buy one if I could even find a 98 disk for sale(XP isn't gonna work).
    I'm thinking to format the disk, and to learn use Linux on this computer, however I don't have a CD burner, so I can't use CD iso files.

My Questions, if anyone can help me.
    -Where can I find Linux floppy install disks to download? Any distro, but I would like to use KDE or Gnome, I'm not strong in CLIs and would like to use Moz or Konq eventually.
    -How can I make these files on to the floppys to boot and install on my PC from my Mac, I doubt it would be just as easy to copy on to the disks and go.
    -Is any of what I want to do even possible?

I don't know much about Linux, but would like to learn, so any information would help.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Do you have any Linux CDs? For the more popular distros (RedHat & Mandrake) there's a directory called Images, which has floppy images in it. They're called pcmcia and cd and so on. You use a program called Raw Write (should be in the Dosutils dir) to write those images to floppy. Then you can boot off of them.
    As for _installing_ from floppies, I don't know of any distro where you could do that; Linux is in excess of 600megs. If you have a fast internet connection you could do a network install...

3. pretentious thread starter macrumors regular

pretentious

I do have a reasonably fast Cable modem, so whats a network install?

Silly me...I didn't even think of buying a Linux distro, Arn't they like $20-30 at CompUSA.

Gesh I feel stupid now, I guess too much coffee,and it being really late (or early for some) and trying to over think things.

Sorry guys I'm off to the store.