Installing lion over leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by acd30, Aug 10, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2012
    I have OS X version 10.5.8 and since it isn't being supported by most companies anymore (ex. Blizzard) I wanted to upgrade to Lion. I then got a Lion USB because I read that I could download from 10.5.8 directly to Lion. However when I inserted the USB, my computer told me I couldn't download it on this version of OS X. I meet all of Lion's system requirements (excepting having snow leopard installed). So why can't I install it? Can someone give me step by step help?
  2. macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    I'm thinking you need SL to go to lion as an upgrade you may have to clean install lion
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2012
    I did some more research on this matter and I found that I need my installation disk (to wipe the hard drive and install Lion), however over the course of 5 years I've lost it =|

I tried inserting a Leopard installation disk so I but I get the message... "The application 'Install Mac OS X' cannot be used from this volume. To install Mac OS X, please use the application provided on the Mac OS X installation disc."
  4. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    You need the discs that originally shipped with your Mac I'm afraid...Apple will sell them to you if you call with make , exact model and SN.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2012
    thanks for the advice =D

I guess I'll just search some more before I end up ordering a new one