Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oatsy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
OK so I just inherited an old power mac (G4 AGP graphics 400 MHz 256MB grey tower) is it worth trying to install OS X on it?? I need it to run Indesign and Photoshop which I only have for OS X. Been using macs forever but not too clued up on tech spec etc, any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

oatsy.

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
Mac OS9 on it already?

..then you go through all the upgrades to OSX.

But...you could attempt this.

Take your system to an Apple dealer. Have him estimate both requirements
for hardware/software and related upgrades (additional cards..graphics etc..)
and then let him advise you. He may want your older box..and would give you
a "fully installed OSX system" on an discontinued model (there are several like
that out there already..and some of the internet prices are deeply discounted).

Other alternatives?

The G4 is perfect for older Mac OS's..my favorite is OS 7.5 which runs smoothly on the net (and works without all those 'Taligent code' upgrades
they were pushing then). Or you could install Linux ppc, other ppc Unix
variants..some work on BSD variants.

The real problem are the apps you want to install. Some are ALWAYS going to be mucho better with a new CoreDuo..etc..

...anyone else out there done this?

ww

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Can't tell you about your particular machine, but I can tell you that I'm running 10.2 (and others are running 10.4) on a machine with lower specs (G3 iBook clamshell, 288 mb RAM).

I'm assuming you can upgrade your RAM -- maybe even to 512? If so, that'll run Tiger. It won't run Tiger blazingly fast, but it'll be smooth and happily, generally crashless.

Don't tie yourself down to 9.22 unless you have to. And I don't think you have to.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
OS X Panther or Tiger will run fine on that machine with a RAM upgrade. 256mb aren't enough. Give it a gigabyte.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Put Tiger on it. I run Tiger on a 350Mhz PCI Graphics G4 (Yikes model) and it runs great. It could use a new graphics card, but the actual processor handles it fine. I would upgrade to 512MB RAM if I were you (that's what I have in my G4). You should be able to do so for under $20.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
If you can somehow upgrade the RAM on that computer yes it would run tiger okay but at 256mb I wouldn't even bother, Panther is your best bet but Photoshop will run like crap...

And RAM will turn to be expensive, why don't you sell that powermac and get a mac mini? For all the upgrades you need to do, you might as well get a Mac Mini.

I own two PowerMac G4s right now, I had to upgrade the processors to 1.5ghz and the RAM to 1256mb (1024mb on the other) and it runs Tiger well but could still need some speed...

Go the Intel way I think, a new Mac Mini with 512mb is 600$ but there are refurbs as well. ($480)

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Yes, we've all heard the "for x dollars more..." Do actually have any math to show us?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.