Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
We've got illustrator at work to install to about 30 machines, except our IT dept havent got time to do it, so have asked me to do it. Now this provides me with a grand oppurtunity to do some impressing, as the dept works closely with an apple consulting firm who come in every now and then.

Now as the IT technicians dont know anything about macs, they'd just go round the machines 1 by 1 doing the install.......

Im well aware that as we have apple remote desktop I can push out the install silently across the network, however ive never done it, so was wondering if anyone can help me, I'd really like to take the opportunity to impress a bit here :)

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010

BrotherBeagle

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
We've got illustrator at work to install to about 30 machines, except our IT dept havent got time to do it, so have asked me to do it. Now this provides me with a grand oppurtunity to do some impressing, as the dept works closely with an apple consulting firm who come in every now and then.

Now as the IT technicians dont know anything about macs, they'd just go round the machines 1 by 1 doing the install.......

Im well aware that as we have apple remote desktop I can push out the install silently across the network, however ive never done it, so was wondering if anyone can help me, I'd really like to take the opportunity to impress a bit here :)

I push Adobe stuff via Casper (1000+ workstations) without problem; but we've invested in JAMF as a solution provider.

I'm starting to play more with Munki to leverage some things, though... you might want to take a look here as well:

http://code.google.com/p/munki/wiki/MunkiAndAdobeCS5

BrotherBeagle

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010

I push Adobe stuff via Casper (1000+ workstations) without problem; but we've invested in JAMF as a solution provider.

I'm starting to play more with Munki to leverage some things, though... you might want to take a look here as well:

As has been mentioned, ARD isn't a solution for this. You could work out a semi-hands off solution (mounting image over network, invoking installer, etc...), but it'd be more cumbersome than it's worth, really. ARD is really useful in a lot of areas, but large software deployment via ARD is not best practice.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010

As has been mentioned, ARD isn't a solution for this. You could work out a semi-hands off solution (mounting image over network, invoking installer, etc...), but it'd be more cumbersome than it's worth, really. ARD is really useful in a lot of areas, but large software deployment via ARD is not best practice.

Brill thanks, Ill have a look at that site.... it would certainly speed up a lot of things at work if i got this nailed....

You dont happen to know why illustrator will only install properly if we've got a web browser window open do you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.