Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kubus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
I have a Late 2007 MacBook 3,1 and wanted to install Windows 8 on it. I checked using the upgrade assistant on my Windows 7 partition and was told I dont have NX bit activated on my processor.

Will Windows 8 work on my machine? Do I have the NX bit? Its a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Kubus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
Everything went well if anyone is wondering. I downloaded the updated and updated over my 7 installation

jukebox1298

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Windows 8.1 on MacBook Pro 3,1

I have been running Windows 8 on my MBP since the Developer Preview both in a Boot Camp partition and in a VM under VMware Fusion. I have had no problems whatsoever. I upgraded to the GA release when it became available, as well as 8.1 and the 8.1 update earlier this month. Zero problems so far.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I've installed Windows 10 32 bit (basically Win8.2) on a MacBook Late 2007. Some of my drivers were transferred over from my previous Windows install. I've now done a clean(er) install, and I'll see what needs to be fixed.

Some things don't work with a clean install:

* Brightness
* Sound
* Two-finger scrolling / right-clicking.
* Video functionality of the iSight webcam, microphone does work however.

Windows Update will pull in a newer X3100 (GMA965) driver. Didn't notice any problems while the out-of-then-box one was operational though.

Required drivers from bootcamp I've uploaded here:

For sound you install the 32bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 Driver from Realtek. There is a faster download from filehippo, but that host is known to wrap ad-ware around the downloads. So beware. I've also made it available on the OneDrive link above. On 64bit, Windows 10 pulls in a working sound driver by itself.

Needs the Apple touchpad driver. You probably want to put the mouse pointer speed a few notches down, and run padset, so the two-finger stuff works.

Brightness control I'll probably fix with an ACPI patch, as I've done for the MacBook1,1. Apparently X3100 has the same legacy brightness interface as the GMA950. Gladly the Late 2007 MacBook can wake up the screen all by itself, something that doesn't work on the Early 2006 version. So, if you never use it at night, and don't mind lower battery life, you can probably work with this machine un-patched. The battery status seems to just work on this macbook. Meaning Apple fixed something in the Embedded Controller, since the ACPI / DSDT appears to be mostly the same.

I notice YouTube full screen crashes the user session when you go out of fullscreen mode :-/. This is a problem with the Intel 965 Express (X3100) driver.

Might try 64-bit Windows in the future. But the system is currently running OS X 10.8.5 using MLPostFactor. Much better battery life: 4h instead of 2h. And also runs reasonably recent software.

Last edited:

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Since there is now a small window left in which Microsoft will upgrade your Win10 test preview to the official RTM version for free, a little bump for this topic.

To install Windows 10 64 bit on a MacBook3,1 (Late 2007) you combine these:

Instead of removing the MacBook1,1 check, you change the 'VersionNT=601' to something like 'VersionNT!=608' (should not be a specific version of Windows that does not exist).

Everything appears to work, bootcamp icon, brightness & volume buttons. And most of the hardware drivers appear to be superseded by Microsofts own 10.0.130.0 versions automatically, so you run the most recent debugged code.

Driver Verifier still shows a bug in KeyAgent.sys even on 64bit. So you can expect random blue screens :-/

Last edited:

Dave.G6HNI

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
Southend-on-Sea, UK
My MacBook Pro 3.1 has Win 7 Pro and the Win 10 upgrade option icon on it and when I checked it's compatibility yesterday it passed OK.
I then allowed it to install 54 Win 7 updates after which it now says the CPU is incompatible due to NX not being supported ?
So I'm now stuck with being nagged to upgrade to Windows 10 by the icon in the task bar and then not being able to due to the cpu error that was not there before these last set of updates.
I have downloaded the full Win 10 Pro, but also get the cpu incompatible warning when I try to upgrade from the full download.
Anyone have any suggestions please ?

>>> EDIT <<<

After reading a few posts on other forums and by enabling Data Execution for ALL programs

"To enable it in Windows right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance -> Data Execution Prevention (turn on and restart Windows)"

I can get past that NX error, now it says I don't have enough free space, it wants 9GB and I only have 3GB :(

So will update if I solve this one

>>> EDIT <<<

After running System Clean-up, which removed 3GB of downloaded updates, probably a failed copy of win10 and by removing Office I ended up with just over 9GB.

Win 10 Pro now installed successfully and the only drivers I had to install manually were the NVidia Video ones. I do still have an unknown USB driver / device than cannot start, but otherwise all drivers installed OK.

Regards, Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: Henk Poley

149TM

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2020
I've installed Windows 10 32 bit (basically Win8.2) on a MacBook Late 2007. Some of my drivers were transferred over from my previous Windows install. I've now done a clean(er) install, and I'll see what needs to be fixed.

Some things don't work with a clean install:

* Brightness
* Sound
* Two-finger scrolling / right-clicking.
* Video functionality of the iSight webcam, microphone does work however.

Windows Update will pull in a newer X3100 (GMA965) driver. Didn't notice any problems while the out-of-then-box one was operational though.

Required drivers from bootcamp I've uploaded here:

For sound you install the 32bits Vista, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 Driver from Realtek. There is a faster download from filehippo, but that host is known to wrap ad-ware around the downloads. So beware. I've also made it available on the OneDrive link above. On 64bit, Windows 10 pulls in a working sound driver by itself.

Needs the Apple touchpad driver. You probably want to put the mouse pointer speed a few notches down, and run padset, so the two-finger stuff works.

Brightness control I'll probably fix with an ACPI patch, as I've done for the MacBook1,1. Apparently X3100 has the same legacy brightness interface as the GMA950. Gladly the Late 2007 MacBook can wake up the screen all by itself, something that doesn't work on the Early 2006 version. So, if you never use it at night, and don't mind lower battery life, you can probably work with this machine un-patched. The battery status seems to just work on this macbook. Meaning Apple fixed something in the Embedded Controller, since the ACPI / DSDT appears to be mostly the same.

I notice YouTube full screen crashes the user session when you go out of fullscreen mode :-/. This is a problem with the Intel 965 Express (X3100) driver.

Might try 64-bit Windows in the future. But the system is currently running OS X 10.8.5 using MLPostFactor. Much better battery life: 4h instead of 2h. And also runs reasonably recent software.

Hi Mate I'm struggling with sound on my MacBook 2007 model.

Everything else seems to work ok so far?

I've tried Realtek drivers from bootcamp 4 and 5.1 but no luck?

Any ideas how I can get the sound working.

Many Thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.