Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Has anyone seen anything on the net on how to dismatle the Mac Pro? I'd like to install my Bluetooth chip on my own. I trust myself more than I do the teenage "geniouses" at Apple who will probably just be following the same instructions. I know it's just a couple screws and a connection of the antenna, but I cannot find the antenna wire and I need to disconnect the fans in order to find it.

Is anyone who has the service manual willing to e-mail it to me? Or has anyone found a site online that gives a step by step instruction set on how to dismantle it?

Thanks.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
YoYoMa said:
I trust myself more than I do the teenage "geniouses" at Apple who will probably just be following the same instructions.

[nitpick]

I'm sure you do, but I'm also sure they know how to at least spell GENIUS or GENII*

[/nitpick]

Trippy Jr

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
MovieCutter said:
[nitpick]

I'm sure you do, but I'm also sure they know how to at least spell GENIUS or GENII*

[/nitpick]

[counternitpick]

It could be a typo. And he's also correct in using "geniuses" as the plural. "Genii" IS also acceptable, but it's not common usage and usually refers to other things.

[/counternitpick]

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah, I read that article but all it shows is the wire I need to connect, it doesn't show how to find it. I've looked everywhere in the area and I don't see it. It seems the only way I can get to it is by removing the fans.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
For the life of me I cannot find that wire. Can you give me any hints as to how to get to and/or recognize it?

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
YoYoMa said:
For the life of me I cannot find that wire. Can you give me any hints as to how to get to and/or recognize it?

Yoyo, do yourself a favor, go get a scewdriver, 2 infact a small one phillips and a medium phillips and do this:

- Take out the video card by removing the 2 screws on the panel and pulling the card out.

- Pull out your ram cards

- Unscrew the 2 screws behind the ram cards in the back.

- Unscrew the 2 little screws at the front bottom of the ram deck.

- Unscrew the black screw at the top of the fan housing.

- Pull back the ram deck to the rear of the case.

- Pull the CPU heatsink shroud to the rear of the case.

- Jiggle the fan housing and pull it toward you.

You now have all the room you need to find that damn wire. This is what I did. Not to find the wire but to see why the number #2 wire was not reaching the BT module. I was following the instructions in the article above and then I saw the wire labeled "BT". Snaps right on.

Good luck.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Haah, and I thought what I went through was bad!!!

Once you gave me a description of the wire and confirmation of where it was I just had to look a bit deeper and find one that matched. I'm writing this message on my new bluetooth keyboard btw. Absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
YoYoMa said:
Haah, and I thought what I went through was bad!!!

Once you gave me a description of the wire and confirmation of where it was I just had to look a bit deeper and find one that matched. I'm writing this message on my new bluetooth keyboard btw. Absolutely wonderful. Thanks so much.

Bluetooth keyboard here as well. Turned off my BT mighty mouse because it sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.