Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Opening a G5 and adding a hard drive...sorry this is probably easy but I am scared to touch this G5 since it is not mine. It is works and if I screw it up I am in trouble! ;)

Anyway, I need to copy my old emac hard drive to the computer! Any tips muc appreciated! :) SOON!!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Your old eMac hard drive won't work in there. G5s are all SATA (serial ATA) drives and your eMac is a PATA (parallel ATA). I don't think there are any PATA connectors in the G5.

Your best bet is to put the eMac in Target Mode (google) and connect the 2 via Firewire and the eMac HD will show up like an external firewire HD on the G5's Desktop.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
yellow said:
Your old eMac hard drive won't work in there. G5s are all SATA (serial ATA) drives and your eMac is a PATA (parallel ATA). I don't think there are any PATA connectors in the G5.

Your best bet is to put the eMac in Target Mode (google) and connect the 2 via Firewire and the eMac HD will show up like an external firewire HD on the G5's Desktop.

Thanks Yellow, yep, I figured that out after I posted this! Oh well, maybe it will work in a G4? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.