Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
It didn't really make sense to me until I saw the logo for it. It's the Core 2 -- like the Pentium 2, then Duo for dual core. So it can also be Core 2 Solo I suppose, but I have no idea if they would make Solo versions.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I agree on the names - not the best job on Intel's part. However, I look forward to finding out what advanced features Intel has put into these CPUs that future Macs could make use of - my next Mac will have an Intel processor inside, but I won't be getting one for a while yet.

What I'm most curious about, though, is the virtualization technology rumors. If these are true, would it then become trivial to run Mac OS X as a guest OS on an Intel Mac (or any other x86 OS as a guest)? I would be hugely excited if this turned out to be true. Any further speculation on this matter?

BWalen

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2005
The Tuck said:
Apple will probably wait until this August to update the portable Macs again and the PowerMac intel version will probably be announced at WWDC.

My 2 cents.

Yeah hopefully! when mac was using powerpc it took forever to get updates (ie- 1 year between powerbook updates?). Now that they're with intel, i could see mac updating more frequently, and hopefully the macbook pro updates in a few months when i'll be ready to sell my current powerbook and move up!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The Tuck said:
Apple will probably wait until this August to update the portable Macs again and the PowerMac intel version will probably be announced at WWDC.

My 2 cents.

I don't think they can afford to do that. Now that they use the same chips as PC makers, if those chips are available and being used in Dells, Sonys, Acers, etc. in July/August, then Apple needs to be using those chips or else look really really bad.

avensis087

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2006
The Woodlands, TX
what i'm curious about in the pin compatibility. i'm running the 2.0 GHz Core Duo, so it's not out of date (yet) but i wouldn't mind shelling out a few hundred bucks for a speed bump of .33 GHz or more. any thoughts?

mr

ChinComSlot

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2006
NY
when will MacBookPro be upgraded???

I"m waiting to see when's the best time to get the new MacBookPro....i'm really hoping that it will be upgraded to 64-bit soon!

what other features are expected in the Rev. B MacBookPro??

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I seem to remember this same argument from when the MBP came out,
just about everyone thought it was a dumb name, but we got used to it didn't we?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
more than that

avensis087 said:
what i'm curious about in the pin compatibility. i'm running the 2.0 GHz Core Duo, so it's not out of date (yet) but i wouldn't mind shelling out a few hundred bucks for a speed bump of .33 GHz or more. any thoughts?

mr
https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060412011938.shtml

Yes, it's pin compatible.

Note that Merom is 25% faster than Yonah at the same clock, so you'll get more bang for your bucks.

Also, Merom will run the 64-bit software that's coming, so your iMac/Mini with a Merom should be useful further into the future than a Yonah system will be. Note also that in 64-bit mode you get another 20% or so - making the Merom about 50% faster than the Yonah when running 64-bit apps.

ampd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
I just want to buy my first mac and im set on buying one of the new intel powermacs...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Macrumors[url="http://news.com.com/The+second+coming+of+Intels+Core+Duo/2100-1006_3-6069307.html?tag=nefd.top" said:
News.com reports[/url] on the new name for the next generation of Core Duo processors, now known as the Core 2 Duo.
So, how do you get the "Intel Announces..." title from a 2nd hand rumour? C|net says that "the company is expected to announce Sunday" - which is far from "Intel Announces".

I would think that only an Intel press release or public presentation would warrant "Intel Announces"....

Nothing at http://www.intel.com/pressroom/index.htm?iid=HMPAGE+Header_1_Press

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
The Tuck said:

My 2 cents.

Do you really think they'll update the portables this soon? :confused: It would be great if they did, but...Wow! I'll be surprised if it happens...I figured we wouldn't see MeromMacs 'til early '07. :( I guess we'll find out soon enough...

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
So "Core" goes like "Pentium". So will we get "Core 3", "Core 4" etc. ?
I thought "Core Duo" means "Dual Core Processor". Then we will have "Core 3 Quad" eventually? Whoever thought about that name...
Isn't it called Pentium D in the PC worls anyway?

It's likely Apple waits untill Julli/August for the updates. The mashines are now opn Intel alright, but making too many updates isn't good. Twice or 3 times a year is ok, otherwise people are reluctant to buy knowing there will be an pdate very soon. I just hope my iMac is the fastest one available for some time :p . Don't know if I will upgrade my CPU this soon. It's fast enough for the stuff I do. I'll wait for the real update when there's something really new coming out. Maybe I'll get a Macbook once it's Rev B. Hope the black one is not too ugly ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.