Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'd like to see a gun metal finish. Or some sort of translucent, oyster-like sheen. Maybe use real cultured pearl shells? Could make quite the fashion statement among the rich yuppies.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
BillyShears said:
The new naming convention will be:

Powerbook
iBook

(No "G4" or "G5" stuff)

Or how about iBook Lite and Powerbook Lite for the single-core versions, and iBook and Powerbook for the mighty dualies :D

sehix

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Noiseboy said:
Any of you OS X intel developers out there think that you're even remotely close to a GM release? I've seen nothing on these or any other forums to suggest that you are. I could only assume that any computer that Apple might launch at MWSF would not actually ship for some time. Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I just don't see anything being ready in just over a month.

There is already a trickle of OS X apps released as Universal binaries. The first started appearing about a month ago. BBEdit 8.2.4 is one of them.

You can tell by doing a Get Info on the application. At the bottom is a new line; "Architecture Intel, PPC"

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
BillyShears said:
The new naming convention will be:

Powerbook
iBook

(No "G4" or "G5" stuff)

This will never happen. There needs to be a distinction. My bet is on a model number series (does not have to conform to the Intel model numbers...but may).

Anybody remember the PowerBook 100, PowerBook 140, PowerBook 170, etc.?

Hickman

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Brian Hickman said:
This will never happen. There needs to be a distinction. My bet is on a model number series (does not have to conform to the Intel model numbers...but may).

Hickman
Actually, it has already happened: the iBook was just called the iBook at first, despite the different models and even a new casing. And there were a number of different iMacs just called iMacs. (And I think the PowerBook was briefly just called the PowerBook at some point--maybe in the late G3 days?) The name doesn't have to be fully specific to one model number. After all, there are many different PowerBook G4s. I wouldn't rule out simply "PowerBooks."

But I'll toss in my speculation on future names:

* Mac Mini ("the all-new Mac Mini") or Mac Mini with letters (HT?) if it gains some totally new purpose

* iMac... or iMac S (for "single core") or iMac D (for "dual" core) or simply iMac Dual

* iBook or iBook S

* PowerBook or PowerBook Dual or PowerBook D

* PowerMac or PowerMac Dual or PowerMac D

* PowerMac Quad or PowerMac Q

* Xserve

themacman

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
kc
nagromme said:
Actually, it has already happened: the iBook was just called the iBook at first, despite the different models and even a new casing. And there were a number of different iMacs just called iMacs. (And I think the PowerBook was briefly just called the PowerBook at some point--maybe in the late G3 days?) The name doesn't have to be fully specific to one model number. After all, there are many different PowerBook G4s. I wouldn't rule out simply "PowerBooks."

But I'll toss in my speculation on future names:

* Mac Mini ("the all-new Mac Mini") or Mac Mini with letters (HT?) if it gains some totally new purpose

* iMac... or iMac S (for "single core") or iMac D (for "dual" core) or simply iMac Dual

* iBook or iBook S

* PowerBook or PowerBook Dual or PowerBook D

* PowerMac or PowerMac Dual or PowerMac D

* PowerMac Quad or PowerMac Q

* Xserve
how about none of those names and the reinvention of every name of every apple product beside the ipod and itunes. Nahhh then probally powerbookI

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Lacero said:
I'd like to see a gun metal finish. Or some sort of translucent, oyster-like sheen. Maybe use real cultured pearl shells? Could make quite the fashion statement among the rich yuppies.

In other words you want one so you can fit in at your neighbors tea parties ?
My Neighbors demand this as well, they say White is soooo out.

:p

image.php

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Marketing

I think the most fascinating part of all this, aside from the Intel chips, will be how Apple markets these new machines. It's the ONE thing we're all in the dark about.

Powerbook G5?
PowerBook G5i
PowerBook G6

.... and the list goes on and on and on ...

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Brian Hickman said:

Hickman

Apple is WAY too cool for model numbers. That went out with the millenium. I think they will keep a "generational" theme. It may not be the "G(n)" they use now ... but I still think it will be an over arching name scheme.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Stella said:
Yep, and most companies will give you a lot of software for your windows machine - far more than Apple does ( normally ).

Do you have examples? My PC came with a 3 month subscription to Anti-Virus (not needed on mac), and WinDVD (also not needed on mac). So in my experience Apple gives you more (and better) software.

guez

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
Wait, wait...

Here's the deal:

Apple will introduce their whole Intel line next Wednesday. Including the Powermac AND... the iPod. Yes, the iPod will use Merom technology.

The Mac mini will be a $299 set-top box with a magic technology that pipes free music/video content into you brain via a new, as-yet-unannounced technology (this technology will implemented on the iPod in MWSF 2006).

Apple will make billions and billions of dollars in profit, cripple Microsoft, and use the Apple Stores to promote Steve Jobs' candidacy for Presidency. Once elected, Steve will eliminate all consumer choice in every sector of the economy and introduce a series revolutionary new devices that will replace the "car," the "toaster," and the "research university."

Then we will all drink Koolaid and ascend to a new level of consciousness.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Frobozz said:
I think they will keep a "generational" theme. It may not be the "G(n)" they use now ... but I still think it will be an over arching name scheme.
I suppose in theory they COULD choose to keep the G naming. Neither IBM nor Motorola owns the G series naming. It's an Apple thing. They've applied it to PowerPC generations, but they COULD do something else with it if they wished. An Intel PowerBook G5 would be confusing... but a Yonah PowerBook G6 isn't impossible. Followed by a Merom PowerBook G7... and PowerMacs could even stick it out and jump straight to G7 in late 2006.

Doubtful, but since we're imagining names...

Tristan_X

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
generik said:
Perhaps they can do it they way they do with those anodized aluminium pots that I have in my kitchen :)

Yes - the T-FalBook! No stick, no stains. Would've been good for the G4 PB's - might've made some eggs with all that overheating.

As for names, the "i"phenomenon is onlikely to be scrapped in my opinion. I thing the iBook and iMac will keep their names. The PowerBook may be re-branded as something that says "sexy" and "powerful". They might throw a 5 in there for good measure. The "PowerBook 5000", perhaps? Then they can make us feel outdated with constant small revisions and name changes accordingly - "PowerBook 5000b" and "PowerBook 5050ac".

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
EricNau said:
Christmas isn't just for December anymore! :p

I can't wait!

So far we'll theoretically see a Mac mini, and laptops, anything else?

Fixed that for you! :D And there is iLife and iWork '06 but at this point isn't that a given. Personally I'm thinking Aperture Express to go along with the new dual core PowerBooks and single core iBooks. :D

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
All this sounds good about the naming. But what i really want to know is how big will the speed bost be with the intel laptops. Once they make the switch, how fast will a single core, and a dual core laptop be?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Tristan_X said:
Yes - the T-FalBook! No stick, no stains. Would've been good for the G4 PB's - might've made some eggs with all that overheating.

The PowerBook may be re-branded as something that says "sexy" and "powerful".

Like what? The Apple Persephone. . .

If you don't get it you don't watch enough Simpsons. :p :D

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
speedemonV12 said:
All this sounds good about the naming. But what i really want to know is how big will the speed bost be with the intel laptops. Once they make the switch, how fast will a single core, and a dual core laptop be?

My WAG* is that the first PowerBooks will come in at:
-PowerBook 12" -> 1.5Ghz dual core Yonah (Whatever is the lowest dual core they have.)
-PowerBook 15" -> 2.0Ghz dual core Yonah
-PowerBook 17" -> Whatever is TOP of the line for the Yonah (Prob 2.1-2.3Ghz.)

-iBook 14" Widescreen 2 GHz single core Dothan.
-iBook 12" Widescreen 1.5 GHz single core ULV Dothan with a form factor to boot that is less then .5 of an inch thick.

Before people start screeching that they would never put out a CPU that is below the speed of what is currently out keep in mind the selling point of have 2 cores. That could possibly offset the idea that its going to be slower then the G4 at 1.67Ghz which we know it won't be.

*Wild @** Guess

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Though I do have mixed thoughts on this, I suspect that it will be a good system.; however, I am uncertain if they are developing a chipset JUST FOR APPLE or what. It doesn't matter much for me, because by the time I get a Mac with the new Intel processor, it will be old anyhow. I may end up with an upgraded G3 Pismo, and we all know those are few years behind the times.

So I am just waiting to see this, and perhaps it will be as nice as everyone believes.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
SiliconAddict said:
Fixed that for you! :D And there is iLife and iWork '06 but at this point isn't that a given. Personally I'm thinking Aperture Express to go along with the new dual core PowerBooks and single core iBooks. :D

Thanks, that's what I meant. Unless, I know something you don't...;)

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I'm not sure I would buy one of these Rev. A. yes I'm not in the market right now, but I'd consider a new iBook if it was ~1000 CND and I could retire my lime clamshell. It seems like a good combo to have a G5 and an intel based portable. best of both worlds IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.