Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to ZDNet.de, Intel Germany CEO Hannes Schwaderer confirmed that Apple would be using the Intel Atom processor in a future version of the iPhone. The new model will reportedly be a larger model with a larger display, correlating with circulating rumors about a mini-tablet device rumored to be coming from Apple. English translation:
As part of an Intel event for the 40th birthday of the semiconductor company at Munich’s BMW World, Germany managing director Hannes Schwaderer confirmed today what has long been a rumor on the Internet: namely, that there is an iPhone with Intel’s new Atom chip. The device is slightly larger than the current version, Schwaderer said. That is not, however, because of the Intel chip, but because of the larger display used in the new iPhone.
He goes on to say that an upgraded version of the current form factor of iPhone would also exist as a 3G-model.

While Schwaderer calls the larger device a "version of the iPhone", it seems clear that it refers to the rumored mini-tablet device. Some rumors have suggested that it would be introduced at WWDC.

Article Link

iFan

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Weird

That seems very unusual for Intel to spill the beans on a deal regarding Apple. Makes perfect sense, though.

TheCreator

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
I wouldn't want to carry anything much larger than the current iphone with me everywhere I go... I'm not all that excited about this.... but that could change.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I'm going to be on the edge of my seat during the WWDC live feed!:D

stevedave50

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
would they release this at the same time as the "normal" iphone? competition for eachother? or completely different target markets?

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
So now we know why Apple bought PA Semi- to stop Intel going and stealing their thunder by opening their mouths a few weeks before WWDC. :rolleyes: The fewer people other than Apple who know what's going on, the less chance there is for a leak.

klagermkii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
Uh oh, Steve isn't going to like this one bit... if there was one coming out, get ready to see it cancelled! :rolleyes:

When are Apple's partners going to learn to keep their big mouths shut. If you're a manager that really can't keep a secret about upcoming products, leak it out onto someone's blog anonymously. Don't do it like this where Steve can vent his rage at your employer.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If it was bigger AND a phone I might consider it. As long as it's thin and still pocketable.

But speaking informally, someone could even call the iPod Touch a "version" of the iPhone, so who knows?

I like the idea of having the same architecture in my Mac and my phone.

FYI, Atom on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverthorne_(CPU)

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Uh oh, Steve isn't going to like this one bit... if there was one coming out, get ready to see it cancelled!
If I were Mr. Schwaderer, I'd be booking a late night flight to an undisclosed country. But then, he must know you can't hide from Steve's ninja stealth assassins. Hopefully he has updated his will and straighted out his affairs for his family's sake.

k2director

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
Hannes, kiss your ass goodbye. You can run but you can't hide from Steve Jobs' personal team of assassins heading your way....

Zeegler

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
I don't think we're gonna see new product launches at WWDC, just based on precedence.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
hmmm might have to wait on my considering of an eee then. this might work, but i guess we'll see, won't we?

the odd thing is that apple, and steve jobs, hates it when companies do this. so i'm surprised anything was said and it makes you wonder just how furious he is over this now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.