Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Great! Intel laptops coming faster than I expected. Knowing Thinksecret has a reliable track record, I'm giving them a 70% chance of being right. Could definitely Apple dropping another bomb. :D

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hmm, it could happen. I definitely expect iBooks to be the first to come with Intel. Although still, January seems a bit too early. I know that Tiger can run on Intel, but what about the other programs available? How is that gonna work, especially for switchers who will be needing to buy new versions of their favorite programs.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
A lot of talk about Apple needing to aggressively price their laptops. That would be nice if the switch to Intel lead to decent price slashes across all the product lines.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Faster than expected. I'm quite impressed by the speed at which Apple is able to design and port over to the x86 instruction set.

Like the article mentions, it makes sense for Apple's lowest performer to go intel, with Power Mac G5s slated for summer 2007 when hopefully all their pro apps like Final Cut Pro go universal binary by then.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Wow! A 200 dollar price drop? Maybe this Intel thing will be worth it after all. ;)

But I still hope to hear something about an Intel PowerBook, even if it does not ship until March or April.

Hickman

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
That's an interesting bit of wording, that "Intel-ready" business. Is this going to be like the wishy-washy upgrade cards they used in the '90s?

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
*puts fingers in ears* I don't want to know about any Intel iBooks after I just bought a PPC iBook. Nah, I'm perfectly happy with mine. I'm excited at the prospect of Mactels showing up asap because it means Rev B's and C's are that much closer too. :rolleyes:

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
the first ones will be slow anyway because of emulation. I dont see a power user switching to intel for a while now soley because of software/performance issues.

lolex

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
where ever the Sun shines
I think quick launch of intel based Mac may due to the controversy OS arguement, Which I believe there's a possiblity of cross platform machine or something, and Apple want to preemt the sales from potential buyer :) and sees the feedback.

Anawrahta

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
亞洲
NewbieNerd said:
*puts fingers in ears* I don't want to know about any Intel iBooks after I just bought a PPC iBook. Nah, I'm perfectly happy with mine. I'm excited at the prospect of Mactels showing up asap because it means Rev B's and C's are that much closer too. :rolleyes:

trust me when I say you ain't the only one thinkin along them there lines

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Powerbook, iMac, iBook and MacMini are all rumoured to come out in January. I dunno what to believe :rolleyes: I hope for powerbook though...

texasmafia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2005
Texas
I'm hoping for an Intel iBook for a college graduation present so hopefully by next summer they will have a decent product ready. I really don't wanna buy from the first batch cause I know they will have issues.

Ups85

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2004
This will be perfect for the average user. Because most of the important functionality (internet, mail, ical, preview, etc) will be ported, the fact that there aren't that many third party software titles won't be a big deal. Besides, I'm sure a few apps such as office will debut along with the first intel macs.

Tristan_X

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
I love the idea. Anything to get that rev b PB out before I graduate and lose my education discount is great in my books.

Still, we're adding the iBook to how many other Intel system rumors?

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Steve is a freakin' genius

Of course it should be the Ibook. Ilife and Tiger already written for Intel. 200 bucks cheaper. This is going to be fantastic for those that the Ibook is most targeted.

This will be great for businesses that use the mac. This will let them test early on machines that only cost $799. For a lot of reasons this will enable many more businesses to examine the Intel solution, and move them more quickly into "inpower" systems.

Developers will have mobile test stations, which will make it easier to write and test code.

kohei

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2005
i just bought my iBook and so far i am not expecting the Mactel machine, i love my ibook 12!;)
i bought it because it is from Apple, don't want to see OSX installed in other cheap PC:mad:

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Wigletbill said:
I'm a designer... need to know these things...

J

Probably not. But you shouldn't need to worry all that much, I suspect that you would see a joint Adobe/Apple release party, and that all of the pro apps both Adobe and Apple apps will be "released" at essentially the same time as the "pro" machines.

Lacero said:
Faster than expected. I'm quite impressed by the speed at which Apple is able to design and port over to the x86 instruction set.
You shouldn't be surprised. x86 hardware has been engineered so many times over again and again that it isn't hard anymore to come up with generic x86 hardware.

Porting to x86 isn't difficult because Apple already has a huge base of software purely in objective-C which usually need a simple recompile or a few tweaks here and there. Their Unix core team has plenty of experience with x86 (Darwin already has an Intel version). Mac OS X was designed to be generally multiplatform compatible. NeXT has gone from 68k to x86 to PowerPC and now back to x86 with Mac OS X.

MacRumors quoted in some article that the new PowerBooks w/ Intel processors are supposedly 20% thinner than the G4 PowerBooks. Bring on the Intel Macs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.