Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
I am seriously considering purchasing another machine, maybe after paris expo and I need to do semi professional photoediting, I am mostly doing freelance wedding photogrpahy.

I am wondering if those of you using an intel imac and running lightroom are pleased with performance. You could also comment on Apreture, but I dont think I am going to go that route. I am beggining to dislike apple and I would rather give my money to adobe. Lightroom seems to run atleast on a powerbook so I imagine that lightroom would run even better then apreture on an intel imac. The last thing I want is to purchase a new machine to solve my slow computer problem and get beachballs. I cant afford a powermac so recommending that machine is unhelpful. I would appreciate though comments on running lightroom, also please mention how many photos you have in the database ect.

Thanks

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hi, I just started to use lightroom on my iMac (see sig) and while it's okay it could be a touch quicker for me. It could just be me and getting to know lightroom but I was thinking it would be faster than it is :cool: Also as I've read around the final ver. of lightroom will be faster, I would hope so but we'll see.
It is nice working with my RAW photos in lightroom and print quality is nice as well. I think that lightroom would or might run better if the iMac had 4GB of RAM and not 2GB but that's just me. I have to wait sometimes while it completes my actions that I made but only for a second or two and then it's fine. I'm not sure how it responds to other file types as of yet as I've only played around with the RAW files thus far.
I'm hoping to do some adjustments with other files in the next few days and then I can give you a better update and a comparison with wait times or not using the same picture(s).

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I've got the 2-2-2-2 iMac, as well! (20", 2GHz 2GB RAM, 256MB VRAM)
It's really powerful, though I have not tried Lightroom yet, Photoshop runs pretty smoothly, even under Rosetta! Make sure if you get an iMac that you get as much RAM as possible; Rosetta emulation eats RAM for breakfast.
And lunch.

Cloud9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
between flesh and thought
Ok,

So your posts have told me alot.

Whatever I get max it out. Its a good idea to wait till after the paris expo for the upadated imacs. Even if they run 20% faster with merom and not conroe, I think its worth it because I dont want to buy a new computer and be waiting for anything in my work. I dont wanna feel the need to upgrade out of the box. It may be that the 23" imacs that are being forcasted will come with 512mb video card. If thats the case I am gonna jump the monkey and get it. if 256mb video card is the best you can get on consumer grades thats crap. I cant afford a pro. APPLE DONT MAKE ME BUY A PC!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.