Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Hi guys,

I want to buy new media boxes for all my TVs (I have 7 - 6 26" LCD and 1 65" plasma). They all have HDMI-in x 2 so I can take my DVI and digital audio out to one HDMI in on each set. Question is, will they show DVDs, movie files, photos, itunes animation thingies, and Front Row, well at 1365x768? I asked this in the main Mac mini news thread but it's soooo busy I can't find any responses to my query.

Thanks
Max

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
7 HDTVs?! + 7 minis?! :eek:
Lucky you...

As long as no 3D is involved (Apart from Apple's apps) It will work fine, at any resolution... HD or beyond. As a media delivery box. :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yes, as stated before, even your HDTV's a plasmas are at best the resolution of a 12" or 15" powerbook. I would expect it to push my 19" monitor at 1280x1024 just fine. The issue I am concerned with is how well it can handle editing video in iMovie or FCEHD and playing that back.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
That's awesome... I guess I'll be ordering those then - I only want it as a media box. My planned setup is as follows. In the study (it's air condition ed and such, don't worr about heat!) I'll have a PowerMac on 24/7. It'll have a 500GB hard disk and I'll then have all my media on that machine. I'll then get the seven minis, Core Duo 1.66GHz with 80GB HDDs and 1GB RAM and have Front Row as my media station for each TV (instead of the Philips things I was planning to order originally). Will the PowerMac be capable of serving all seven machines at once with the content as and when they demand it (everything will be linked up via Gigabit Ethernet, only laptops use wireless)? Then in the study I'll get an iMac intel and that will be used for gaming, working, and maybe for Front Row every so often (when I want the rest of the people in the house to think I'm working but actually want to have some fun, for example). Then I'll get an iPod and I'll have two of these nice looking pseaker systems (one for the kitchen, one for my bedroom) to play music from the iPod (and have an iPod alarm and use the one in the bedroom for an alarm clock too). The question is, if all the media is on the PowerMac (which won't have a screen connected to it the majority of the time, it'll just be in a cupboard) then can I use any machine in the house to sync the 'shared music' from the PowerMac onto the iPod whenever I need it. Also, can I rip music onto the PowerMac using the other computers? If none of this is possible, I can scrip the iMac and just have a PowerMac with a screen in the study? Reason I'm asking is I currently have a simillar (albeit very buggy and flaky) system setup using Philips, Sony and Microsoft stuff. I've had a single mac (PB G4) since March 2004, but I'm only just ready to switch properly and remove all my PCs.

Thanks for your help.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
No way... Not all at once. Sorry. Quad core, dual core GBs of mem etc... They're all bound to use that 54Mbps Airport connection, which won't even be running @ full 54Mbps if they're too far apart.

EDIT: If they were wired i'd be fine, sorry :)

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
They won't use AirPort. All the Mac minis will connect via Gigabit LAN (getting the whole house fitted) only laptops will use the WiFi.

EDIT: Just saw your EDIT. Any ideas on the last part of my question?

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Money doesn't seem to be much of an object for you, but a Core Solo mini could handle driving a TV perfectly fine. I would reccomend you pimp out an iMac with 500GB of HD space instead of going for a Power Mac/iMac combo, since you WILL need a display to rip to the Power Mac. No network ripping! You'll also need to manage your digital media in iTunes and iPhoto, which requires a display.

Remember that this is brand new and rapidly evolving, so if you can wait until the end of the year, I would do so!

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Hi there,

The only worry I have about getting the iMac is that I will need to leave the machine on 24/7 so that anyone in the house can get music and video and photos without having to invade the study and turn ont he machine (partly because I don't like people going into the study, partly because late at night when people are in their bedrooms it's irritating going downstairs to turn it on then downstairs to turn it off again). Will that tiny form factor be ok with a processor in it switched on 24/7? I can always get a PowerMac and then just a 20" or 23" HD cinema display - that could work nicely since they're nice looking displays. As for leaving it until the end of the year, I don't see much point. We have 9 monthjs yet, and things change every 9 months, whatever the situation, so if something significant comes out and I like the idea of it then I'll get it and put the old stuff up at a sale or something. Basically, I want to just design the perfect total home entertainment system, then get the thing ordered and in place. Just like I tried to do last year, spending loads of money on Sony, Philips and Microsoft systems and then seriously regretting it (anyone here tried MS MCE??? !).

Thanks guys

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
That sounds fine. It really wouldn't matter whether you get the PowerMac or iMac. Like you said it is always on, but that won't be a problem for the iMac. If you want to be able to turn the screen off on the PowerMac so no one is using it, go that direction. Either way you can set the screen to go to sleep on either computer while leaving the hard drive and processor running. Like someone else said, you can't rip from elsewhere to this machine, and you will want usb available for iPod syncing as well as adding new photos to the iPhoto library. So you need the CD drive and ports available to you. How you set that up doesn't really matter. My PowerMac sits in a desk behind a door and I never open it except to rip CD's. All my necessary cable come out the back of the cabinet. One thing to consider that is nice about the iMac is the built in iSight if you plan on using it for any video conferencing. However you can get a standalone iSight and mount it to a Apple display for the PowerMac, so you're still good either way. And actually the standalone iSight have a better focal depth than the built in ones, which are limited to 2-3 feet max.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Hi there,

Considering PowerMac isn't yet switched to Intel, and that I want the machine's ports and CD drive available as you said, I've decided to go for the 20" iMac. All seems good, I'll be finalising some things to do with other hardware I want in the system (not computer related) and then I'll be putting my order in with Apple, Bang & Olufsen and Sky.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.