1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

intel mini upgrade question

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nhcowboy1, Mar 6, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Someone on eBay has a mini for sale that he upgraded from a 1.5 core solo to a 2.16 core duo. Can that be done without causing other problems? I dunno - like excess heat or something?

2. macrumors 604

Cave Man

Lots of people have done this, and if done properly it gives you a dramatically-better computer.

3. macrumors 6502a

The core solo and C2D machines are apparently identical (except for firmware).

So Apple ships the 2.0 C2D, seems like 2.16 shouldn't break the bank.

Several 2.33 machines are out there, but 2.33 chips are $$$.

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors 601

clyde2801

not QUITE the same

Core solo and Core Duo machines only take up to 2gig of ram.

Core 2 Duo machines take 3 and change.

This is a function of the boards, not of the chips. So, even if you take a Solo and put in a Core 2 Duo chip, it will only take 2 gigs of ram, tops.

6. macrumors 6502

I'd be very careful buying this from ebay.

7. macrumors 6502a

What chips on the motherboard changed?

Several people have reported that the boards looked identical to them. Either they missed something, they are wrong, or it is just the firmware.

You are correct that machines that shipped with a C2D processor can see 4GB (3GB usable) and machines that shipped with a CD can only see 2GB (and I hear won't boot with any 2GB DIMMs installed). But my, not thoroughly investigated, theory is the motherboards are physically identical.

8. macrumors 6502a

Yes, indeed. I find it very curious when someone first upgrades his mini, and then sells it. Something might've gone wrong during the upgrade, and the seller might want to get rid of it because of that.

--Erwin

9. macrumors 6502a

Or he has just realized, that swapping the CPU doesn't accelerate graphics subsystem enough to run Colin McRae Rally... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68020

It's my understanding that nothing has physically changed, but the original Core Solo firmware only recognizes 2G.