Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maler

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2002
Praha, Czech republic
While I would have liked the 800MHz memory bus, as well, if I was in the market for an iMac, the new model would be one I would purchase. :)

New iMacs have 800 MHz memory. They are Montevina.

The iMac computers introduced in April 2008, based on the Intel Core 2 Duo microprocessor, provide two RAM slots that accommodate 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMMs up to 1.25” in height. The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) compliant and must be unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Guess what, my dual 2.0Ghz G5 died last night.

Oh blasphemy! Macs last forever - they never die. I keep hearing that PCs are disposable, and Macs are extremely high quality and never stop. ;)

Did you check that the power cord is connected? Surely Macs aren't becoming disposable items too....

The Imacs themselves report that they're using the chipset from Santa Rosa - they're not Montevina.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

Intel says it's still Santa Rosa, but they gave it the FSB and (so I see) the memory bus of Montevina so that's good enough. :cool:

Are the new imacs with the 2.8Ghz not extreme? Is my top of the line last gen 2.8Ghz faster?

No. Your machine has a slower FSB (800MHz vs. 1066MHz) and a slower memory bus (667MHz vs. 800MHz). That being said, your machine is still very powerful. :cool:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
No. Your machine has a slower FSB (800MHz vs. 1066MHz) and a slower memory bus (667MHz vs. 800MHz). That being said, your machine is still very powerful. :cool:
Keep in mind that at the same 2.8 GHz clock speed the faster front side bus and RAM only offer several percentage points of improvement.

The 1066 to 1333 MHz E6x50 update showed this small gain for desktop processors at nearly the same clock speeds.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
When I look at prices of the high end iMacs.. I can't help but wonder if the better deal isn't just buying a refurb Mac Pro with dual 3.0's. It's practically the same price.

At this point, I'm kinda torn between the 2.8 refurb or if I were to go over $2k to just get a refurb mac pro.

You might.

Then again you might feel the 24" H-IPS panel included w/ the big iMac is a pretty significant bonus. Esp. considering the market value of similar standalone displays can easily go north of $1k.

crockett

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2008
You might.

Then again you might feel the 24" H-IPS panel included w/ the big iMac is a pretty significant bonus. Esp. considering the market value of similar standalone displays can easily go north of $1k.

I don't really need a display and I likely wouldn't buy Apples if I did (a bit way too pricey). I have two 19 inch now, so I could steal one from my PC if I had too. I actually missed out on a great deal on a Mac Pro on ebay today that came with two 19 inch wide screens. Was out bid buy a sniper @ last second 8(.

eizzumdm

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2002
Princeton, NJ
"Discounts" on older models

Wow, great deal at MacMall. :rolleyes:

For $1849, you can get a 24-inch white iMac with a 2.33 GHz processor, and at the Apple store you get a 24-inch Al iMac with a 2.8 GHz processor, twice the RAM, and a bigger HD for $1799. Ooh, wait...you get a crappy printer and Parallels at MacMall too.

I suppose I feel bad for retailers stuck with old inventory, but I feel worse for the ignorant schmucks they sucker into these "deals."

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
So why do they say extreme?
The "Extreme" tag is for Intel's high performance, enthusiast processors with high stock clock speeds and unlocked multipliers for easy overclocking. The processors can be overclocked by increasing the clock speed multiplier in addition to the front side bus.

Keep in mind the majority of Extreme processors are over US$1,000. ;)

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I don't really need a display and I likely wouldn't buy Apples if I did (a bit way too pricey). I have two 19 inch now, so I could steal one from my PC if I had too. I actually missed out on a great deal on a Mac Pro on ebay today that came with two 19 inch wide screens. Was out bid buy a sniper @ last second 8(.

That's fine and well (for *you*), but it just doesn't ring true that a refurbed Pro is a runaway better deal than the new bid-daddy iMac, when you consider virtual half the iMac's value proposition is tied up in its screen.

And this isn't an Apple thing. Any 24" H-IPS panel is going to cost mucho dinero.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
You think maybe Apple doesn't like the pace at which the processors are updated so has asked for special orders so that perhaps they wont have to bump up to the next processor and might be able to skip a generation?

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

the Apple returb Aluminum 24" iMac for $1399 and the 24" Extreme for $1599 are good deals.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I just replaced my old 2.4" 2.8 GHz C2D Extreme iMac with the new 3.06 GHz model ... it is soooooooo cooool and waaaaay better

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is interesting. I did think the FSB being different may have meant the new chipset. I guess it kinda is kinda isn't sort of thing. A good surprise on this upgrade. Happy buying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.