Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wahlau88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Can someone more knowledgeable then me enlighten me as to what this report from Electronista can mean for upcoming MBP or MB? I'm waiting for Nehalem MBPs but this sounds interesting.

Intel's upcoming quad-core chip for notebooks has been optimized to where it can run in thin-and-light notebooks, according to a new report. The 2.53GHz Core 2 Extreme QX9300 was originally flagged as a 45-watt chip limited to desktop replacement notebooks and slim desktops but is now said to use just 35 watts, putting it on par with the heat and power of current dual-core chips. The advance would permit the quad-core chip to work as a drop-in replacement for high-end notebooks without changing their dimensions.
The QX9300 is effectively a doubling of a same-speed Core 2 Duo based on the upcoming Centrino 2 notebook platform, and includes twice as much Level 2 cache at 12MB; its system bus is the same at 1,066MHz. This latest news would allegedly have Intel ship the quad-core processor sometime during the summer; past reports have indicated a September launch. Pricing, however, is expected to be high at $1,038 per chip in 1,000-unit batches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.