Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
People who have a lot of issues over Intel's product roadmap probably have a lot of issues. We can live without our next toy. There is a lot that Apple could do to plug the numerous holes in their product lineup that does not involve Broadwell chips.

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Fall 2014 - speed bumps, maybe RAM and flash storage.
Spring 2015 - new models.
Summer 2014 - sadness among those wanting to buy a new model, not an upgraded old one...

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Many will bemoan that Apple would never abandon x86 because of it's Windows compatibility (well, people that install Parallels on their machines say this) But you're right, the iOS ecosystem vastly outstrips the number of Macs sold and I would wager that to many people, having a Mac with OSX that could run iOS apps is much more appealing than having a Mac that could run Windows.

iOS app runs on OS X will be ****** experience and you will stuck with one app at a time limit. It just does not work well. Also Apple choose Intel not only because it had better performance than PowerPC back then, but also the Windows compatibility. The reason Macs sales was up year over year AFTER intel switch was mainly because of Windows compatibility.

If Apple choose to down with ARM road, we will see the death of Mac. I will certainly switch back to Windows.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
And there was also a time when PowerPC processors ran faster and cooler than Intel. I remember when Apple used to compare the performance of Intel's (Pentium I believe) with the PowerPC processors.

And now ARM is creeping up and may want to enter the low-end desktop market.
I'm still waiting for the abacus to make a comeback. :(

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Does anyone what improvements SkyLake will bring as yet? Because, I want t upgrade my 2011 Macbook Air and was wondering whether or not to wait for Broadwell or SkyLake.

DDR4 Ram, wireless charging maybe. And of course increased efficiency and performance. Someone may be able to tell you more. Those are the big ones I know of though.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Just bought a refurbished Macbook Pro (retina) which, because it had been BTO, would have cost me over £2.5K brand new. Aside from two very small dents on the underside, the thing appears brand new.

I begrudge paying silly money for something I will probably keep for only a few years before upgrading again.I suggest people interested in upgrading their Macs do the same.

Don't worry. The need to upgrade is very close to being over. We'll all be keeping our newly bought tech longer than ever before from here, on out. I suspect Broadwell will be a nail in the coffin. Phones and tablets are actually there, now. Manufacturers know it, they just don't want us to know it.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Broadwell 2015 - Okay by Me

This fits right into my plan for replacing my Mid-2012 Macbook Pro/Retina. Three years and pass it down.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I can't imagine this is a good sign for the next generation of Xeon either since Intel considers it an even lower priority than desktop chips.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I'm not seeing the big news here, this has been known for months - the real shocker isn't the further delaying of Broadwell, but rather how Intel intends to minimize this release to quickly move to Skylake.

Broadwell will end up being a very minor "tock" to Haswell - Intel messed up, they screwed manufacturers over into waiting for it and then delaying, etc. Apple (and others) will end up having to use Haswell for way longer than intended, so they better find interesting features other than a processor bump to keep their sales from going south.

How would you like a Retina screen'ed iMac now, even if it runs on the same old Haswell chip?

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Thanks. If Apple brought wireless charging to their notebook line up that would be really cool :cool:
Yeah, I could see some cool benefits from the wireless tech in Skylake. Also, PCIe4 is in the architecture as well, so expect better performance from the SSD as well.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
When you consider the pace at which Intel releases new CPUs these days, I'm wondering more and more whether Apple will migrate away from Intel and move to in-house A-series CPUs some day in the future.

Apple's custom silicon isn't at a point where it can power a Mac, but based on the pace at which Apple is developing its own CPUs, you have to wonder how far off that day really is.
I think Apple will make the Mac transition to ARM, if only for the increased control they will have over their own chips. Also note that Apple would most likely have to use custom integrated GPUs (or make their own) as current Macs use GPUs that are many times more powerful than the one in the A7, although maybe that's one of the things Apple's GPU Design Center is working on.

'Skylake' — what a lovely name — sounds refreshing, delicious, beautiful.
What is expected from Skylake in relation to performance and graphics?
CPU: 2-4 cores in the mainstream and it also features AVX 3 for 2x peak FP rate over Haswell.

GPU: Gen 9 graphics with up to 72 EUs and GT4 configuration.

People thought the same when Haswell was released, is it worth it when Broadwell is right around the corner? And 8 months later, there is clear signs Broadwell is another 6-10 months away.
Also it depends on the release schedule of different Skylake chips. From what I've read the desktop ones appear to be coming first. Mobile Skylake could be a while off.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Don't worry. The need to upgrade is very close to being over. We'll all be keeping our newly bought tech longer than ever before from here, on out. I suspect Broadwell will be a nail in the coffin. Phones and tablets are actually there, now. Manufacturers know it, they just don't want us to know it.

No, Skylake will be the nail.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Glad my gf and i didn't wait to buy new macs.

Last edited:

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY

Thats an interesting concept. I don't know if it will ever be fully true though. I can see the upgrade cycle getting longer for average users though.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
Yeah, I could see some cool benefits from the wireless tech in Skylake. Also, PCIe4 is in the architecture as well, so expect better performance from the SSD as well.
Well I guess I will upgrade when Skylake becomes available. The way that technology is these days... you upgrade one day six months later something new is out. Oh well it's just progress.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Within the next five years Apple will have dropped Intel

This is only my opinion but I think Apple will have dropped Intel within five years for the vast majority of its products. Certain computers like the Mac Pro will probably still use Intel's fastest most advanced processors.

For a lot of people (and by that I mean no-one who reads MacRumors) they just don't need the computing power which Intel will be able to produce in five years time.

Apple will likely have taken the processors in-house like they have done for iPhones and iPads.

There is a good chance within five years of various models merging - macbook airs and iPad airs will have merged to become the best of both worlds. A lightweight laptop with detachable tablet screen for example.

The key moving forward will be all day computer use and not needing to charge up your battery. Most things will be wireless.

Only my opinion

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Well I guess I will upgrade when Skylake becomes available. The way that technology is these days... you upgrade one day six months later something new is out. Oh well it's just progress.

It is definitely getting there. Phones are as large as they are going to get (as will Apple's with this current release). Samsung sees the writing on the wall and is expecting less revenue next quarter.

As for processing, the current A7 is more than most need.

Cameras are leveling off and so are other components.

That's why Apple and others are investing time in developing new censors and wearables. They know people know need to upgrade their normal devices anywhere near as much.

Just look at how many devices iOS8 and Yosemite are compatible with.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I don't see any reason why Apple won't still release a redesigned MBA even if it uses the same "old" processors. As long as they use a better screen and give it a minor chassis redesign there will be plenty of sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.