Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Just get me an Ivy Bridge Mac Mini with USB3 built-in to it and I'll use that as my next audio/video server. The size profile would actually work well for that use and free up one of my desks since I could share that space with a PC just using a keyboard/mouse switch and 2nd monitor input instead of having a separate PowerMac and PC setup as I have now. My media server is 3TB USB3 and so I don't want slow USB2 and I have yet to see a credible Thunderbolt solution in that regard to get full speed out of one or even another reasonable priced drive.

Nick McEnjoy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
:( I just got my macbook air. But you know that there will always be something better,,,

Me just a month ago.

You should be happy. Many people cannot afford one. Like me.

But instead of selling the wife and kid, I'll get one when I've saved enough :D

resonator

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
El Cerrito, California
usb 3.0

I think the main benefit will be USB 3.0. There are already hundreds of USB 3.0 peripherals including portable hard drives, USB keychains, etc. Since USB 3.0 is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 this is a pretty substantial upgrade and should be not change to the form factor of the ports. To me that is the big benefit of the Ivy Bridge chip. I really hope Apple doesn't drag it's feet on adding USB 3.0. Hopefully they will add it when the chip is put into the new Apple products.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I think the main benefit will be USB 3.0. There are already hundreds of USB 3.0 peripherals including portable hard drives, USB keychains, etc. Since USB 3.0 is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 this is a pretty substantial upgrade and should be not change to the form factor of the ports. To me that is the big benefit of the Ivy Bridge chip. I really hope Apple doesn't drag it's feet on adding USB 3.0. Hopefully they will add it when the chip is put into the new Apple products.

Drag it's feet? I don't think there is one other viable new computer today made other than Apple which doesn't have a usb 3.0 plug for some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.