Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
It's really simple. Cache is your friend. It will rarely ever hurt you. Rather, it almost always helps you. Cache won't eat your babies, in other words. :rolleyes:

The very reason why some people were against caches [in a server environment] is that when "something" is in a cache and not yet in a solid storage, that something can be lost if there was a power shortage at a proper moment. Sure, most servers are connected to UPS systems, but still, there's a chance "cache will eat your baby".

Remember, it's a (theoretical) possibility, not a (real-world) probability.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Sudden Motion Sensor, you will be missed. Or maybe they can leave that in just for fun? :D

Hear hear! Using the app MacSaber is awesome on my MBP!

As for why I close apps, virtual memory can take up a lot of space. At the school where I work, one of the teachers uses a G3 iMac (she's getting a new Intel iMac over the summer, w00t!) and has a bunch of pics and iMovies on it. When she has a lot of programs open, her available space on her hard drive goes to none. After restarting, she got something like 200 MB back. Fortunately, I ran a program called Monolingual to get rid of all the different language localizations in each app and now she has about 1.25 GB free. Not much, but it should be enough. Virtual memory has its benefits, but not when hard drive space is at a premium.

Towerinio

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
Robson uses flash (NAND) memory over PCI Express Bus
somebody should look inside new MBP and check is there free PCI Express slot
if yes i can't see any problem to install NAND module and enjoy Robson working on Vista now and on Leopard if Robson will be supported by OS

peace
tomek

Honestly I don't know much about intel's implementation, but it's very difficult to have general purpose applications boosted by a memory configuration.
True, there are L1, L2, L3, etc. levels of cache, but they are for general purpose memory where entire architectures are created to actively manage memory tables, invaldiations, snoops, etc.

For true performance boost, the memory should be dedicated for a specific task like booting where specific code can reside without the constant overhead management of memory tables being updated.

Get rid of the memory management overhead (or significantly reduce it) and THAT'S where you get "turbo memory".

It's funny how intel showed this to significantly boost some process at a conference, but in the wild it's a dud. :D

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
You know, this was one of the features I was waiting for on the Macbooks...
Oh well, I'm not terribly surprised. The ReadyBoot or whatever on Windows was debunked ages ago but I had some hope for this.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Speed Boost

The one area I can see Robson helping in still is the Ultra-Portable world though I agree it probably has little benefit on a standard lappy. My company bought me a Dell D420 for work (I asked for a Mac :mad: ). It is a great small laptop with a 12" wide-screen and only 2.5lbs. To get this small and light it uses the same tiny hard drives as the iPod though. So getting anything from disc is painful.

I wish it had Vista so I could get an SD card to use on it because I'll bet robson would really add a lot of benefit to a machine like that with an even slower hard drive.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I wish it had Vista so I could get an SD card to use on it because I'll bet robson would really add a lot of benefit to a machine like that with an even slower hard drive.

I really doubt a simple SD card add any speed. :/

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I never reboot. Macs can actually sleep and wake :)

Fast caching of common files sounds great, but what I REALLY want flash storage for is INSTEAD of the HD. No moving parts, longer battery life. I'd pay a lot for that. (Which is good, because that ain't cheap yet.) Ultraportable with flash storage please! :)

It's not so much that the Macs can sleep and wake, it's that, unlike the PC version of sleeping and waking, the Mac version actually works.

Towerinio

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
previous and acctuall models of MBP supports Intel Turbo Memory !!!!!

- MBP ExpressCard has a direct connection to the system bus over a PCI Express
- Intel Turbo Memory = 512 or 1GB NAND module inserted into PCI Express

so, buy 1 GB NAND ExpressCard module (f.e. http://www.hsc-us.com/Consumer2/expresscards/exp34fd.html) and you have 100% Intel Turbo Memory on your MBP

there is only one OS which supports ITM, this is VISTA

Membrain

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
that's what I'm talking about!

so, buy 1 GB NAND ExpressCard module (f.e. http://www.hsc-us.com/Consumer2/expresscards/exp34fd.html) and you have 100% Intel Turbo Memory on your MBP

So up to 8Gig of Turbo Ram! That expresscard slot is starting to look handy, wonder if apple put it there for a reason?

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006

No, not quite 100% of the entire capabilities; I think there's more to it than that. Go read the full article on anandtech linked from MR's OP, you'll see that anandtech did not have a hybird drive to test the 3rd of components of what is now referred to as Intel Turbo Mem. 'ReadyDrive' was not tested, but soon it should be as the hybird drives are available:

SAMSUNG FlashON HM16HJI 160GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM
New Hybrid Drive(limit 1 per customer)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152089

Sunnzy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
I heard somewhere that the Linux kernel has the framework to support it, and has had this framework for a couple of versions. So all that's needed is an actual driver for whatever hardware drives this flash memory stuff - if any at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.