Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The only thing left in my Computer system to upgrade is the monitor. I like the Apple Studio Display. I have a question about the interconnects. The way It is now I have the Mac Studio connected via HDMI to my Yamaha AVR, The same for the Mini PC, as well as the Apple TV 4K, than and HDMI cable to the Samsung monitor. The Studio Display does not have HDMI, or displayPort inputs But with the Mac, and the PC I still need to keep the Yamaha connected. There are HDMI to USB-C cables, I have no idea how well they work. It so happens the Mini PC does have a USB-C video output. I can independently plug each computer into the Apple Studio Display. Here is what my question is, can I maintain the HDMI connection of each computer to the Yamaha, than use a HDMI to USB-C cable from the HDMI output to the monitor. The Yamaha is the audio for both systems. I know the Studio Display has its own speakers but the Yamaha has considerable more audio output and good bookshelf Polk Audio speakers.

So I would have the Thunderbolt connected from the Mac Studio, The Kamrui Mini PC to one of the USB-C ports, and finally a HDMI to USB-C cable from the Yamaha to a third USB-C port. The HDMI from each computer still connected. I could than run each computer independently of the Yamaha, or through the Yamaha. The Yamaha has on screen displays for its Net Radio, and other things I don't use.

There is a LG monitor that has both HDMI, and Thunderbolt, and is 5K but it is same size, and about the same price as the Studio Display. The LG does not have the computational innards the Studio Display has.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
TLDR; No.

"Here is what my question is, can I maintain the HDMI connection of each computer to the Yamaha, then use a HDMI to USB-C cable from the HDMI output to the monitor."

That's a straightforward question, but the answer (No) is multi-part.

Is your Yamaha AVR HDMI 2.1 8K?
Is there an 'HDMI to USB-C' cable that is 8K capable?

Because to get the Apple Studio Display to work needs more than 4K interconnects.

"So I would have the Thunderbolt connected from the Mac Studio, The Kamrui Mini PC to one of the USB-C ports, and finally a HDMI to USB-C cable from the Yamaha to a third USB-C port. The HDMI from each computer still connected. I could than run each computer independently of the Yamaha, or through the Yamaha."

That's more complicated. Even more multi-part.....

"So I would have the Thunderbolt connected from the Mac Studio..."
To where?
The Apple Studio display has got the 'HDMI to USB-C' 8K cable' (see above) plugged into it's single input socket.

"The Kamrui Mini PC to one of the USB-C ports..."
To where?
Where is there a USB-C input?
The ASD has only ONE TB3 video-data input, and a further three USB 3.2 Gen 1 bi-directional data (hub) ports, for peripherals.

"and finally a HDMI to USB-C cable from the Yamaha to a third USB-C port."
See above response. To where etc.

AND...
('One more thing...')

All the above can't work because the ASD is a smart device, (containing an A13 Apple Silicon device like a cut-down iPad) and so REQUIRES computer level bi-directional communications with your host Apple Studio.
This is how the web-cam works.
HDMI cabling doesn't provide this.
The Yamaha AVR isn't designed to provide this.

"There is a LG monitor that has both HDMI, and Thunderbolt, and is 5K but it is same size..."
Is there?
I thought all the LG ones that were '5K but it is same size' were Thunderbolt for 5K and 4K if USB-C was used.?
The ones that have HDMI are probably 5K/2K, so non-retina, not the same at all?

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
In other words, screw the Studio Display and stay with Samsung monitors with I have used since the days of CRT monitors. Thank you, you have saved me a lot of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.