Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Somian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Hi,

I'm looking for a internal SD card reader for the Mac Pro 7,1.

Something like this, but for SD instead of CF cards (or both)

Does such a product exist?

I've been using a USB dongle, but that thing dangles off the USB-C ports at the top and I'm scared the port will break off (or the card will break off when the stiff cable moves the dongle somewhere).

So I think an internal solution would be better... if it exists.

Otherwise I could use an extension cord to make the dongle less dangly, but that adds clutter (and It would have to be USB-C female cable like this)...

d0sed0se

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2024
California
I think you're gonna have to look abroad for a solution...

Best I can find is THIS

I would also check eBay, Alibaba and Aliexpress to see if you can find it for a better price.

Kaspin

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2015
The card linked is for CF Express, and isn't compatible with older CF and Adapters.

Personally, I just use a usb cable tied around the handle to keep the stress off the ports. Mines a rack version, but the tower would basically be the same idea.
macprousbcable.jpg

Somian

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
The card linked is for CF Express, and isn't compatible with older CF and Adapters.

Personally, I just use a usb cable tied around the handle to keep the stress off the ports. Mines a rack version, but the tower would basically be the same idea.
Thanks for this info, I would have almost bought this with some adapter...

IMG_6298.jpg

Here's my dongletown... it kind of just sits there but sometimes when I put an SD card in there, it'll slowly bend the cable and a few seconds later it'll "snap" and dangle off the side of the Mac which is scary.

Looks like a USB extension cable for the dongle is the best solution...

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
There seem to be very few to no PCIe cards that do that, as external SD card readers are cheap and plentiful.

Do you need to swap out the SD card frequently, or is this a "leave it in place" option?

If the latter, you might want to look for an older USB expansion card like the SonnetTech Allegro USB (discontinued, but you can probably find it used), which has an internal USB-A 2.0 port, and then plug an SD card reader dongle into it, like this model from Anker.

If the former, I would just go for a standard desktop USB SD card reader as it'll be easier, cheaper, and faster. If you've run out of USB ports, Sonnet has newer USB-C expansion cards to give you anywhere from 4 to 8 additional ports.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
If the latter, you might want to look for an older USB expansion card like the SonnetTech Allegro USB (discontinued, but you can probably find it used), which has an internal USB-A 2.0 port, and then plug an SD card reader dongle into it, like this model from Anker.

In that case, you could just plug in to the USB header next to the SATA connectors.

As an alternative - @Somian do you know anyone with modelling and 3D printing skills? You could model up a PCI rear slot cover that incorporates a cage to hold a USB card reader inside the machine, with its slots flush with the outside of the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.