Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
That is the custom as I understand it. I guess I agree with it, but only because I wouldn't want to make a woman uncomfortable by offering my hand if she's not interested in shaking it.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Being raised in the south (and still living there) it is not really considered rude, but it just is not done. However if a woman extends her hand to shake yours then it is fine.

Personally i dont like shaking hands with strangers...they all have cooties until proven otherwise..:p

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
amateurmacfreak said:
I think that's stupid.

i agree...

there are a lot of manufactures representatives that call on me that are women and they always shake my hand when they come in... (actually one always gives me a hug! :eek: ) that has accustomed me to extend a handshake to every female i meet @ work...

outside of work i cant say i would extend a handshake to every female i meet...

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Since I am not aware of ettiquette classes being on local school curriculum, I think most people just wing it as situations warrant.

Or just me...

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
It's those over-sensitive cry-baby women who give the rest of us a bad name. If a handshake can offend a woman, boy does she have bigger issues. But I'm feeling a bit cantankerous at the moment so who knows. :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I always offer to shake hands in any sort of social situation where handshaking is appropriate. I don't suppose I much care if I offend someone by doing so as I'm quite sure I'd have no use for someone who was offended by something like that.In fact, if they were genuinely offended, I'd likely mock them behind their back.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
jsw said:
I always offer to shake hands in any sort of social situation where handshaking is appropriate. I don't suppose I much care if I offend someone by doing so as I'm quite sure I'd have no use for someone who was offended by something like that.In fact, if they were genuinely offended, I'd likely mock them behind their back.

unless you practice the Crocodile Dundee "handshake" ;) :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iBlue said:
unless you practice the Crocodile Dundee "handshake" ;) :D
Ah, but it's been too long since I've seen that. Refresh my memory. Does it involve snakes of any sort? Knives? Head-butts?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
jsw said:
Ah, but it's been too long since I've seen that. Refresh my memory. Does it involve snakes of any sort? Knives? Head-butts?

at a pub in new york old crocodile mic is flirting with "a guy dressed up like a Sheila" but has no idea until his buddy tells him. Not believing what his buddy told him was true he non-chalantly reaches down and grabs the "Sheila" by the crotch. (revealing the truth)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iBlue said:
at a pub in new york old crocodile mic is flirting with "a guy dressed up like a Sheila" but has no idea until his buddy tells him. Not believing what his buddy told him was true he non-chalantly reaches down and grabs the "Sheila" by the crotch. Hysterical.
Ah... now I remember. Thanks! :)

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I find the act of touching strangers oddly unsettling. I'm never rude, I never refuse a handshake, hug, or (ick) even the quick facial peck. But I don't care for it. I'm not a touchy-feely kind of person. I'm weird like that. :eek: As for whether it's unacceptable for a guy to extend his hand to a girl, no, I don't think so. I've never been offended by that, even though I don't care for it. :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Ugh, Crocodile Dundee.

The only time hand shaking should not be used, is in primary school when "boy germs" and "girl germs" exist.

It's probably just my european background, but personally, I prefer a hand shake and a kiss on the cheek when greeting women. Though that often seems inappropriate in many situations.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jadekitty24 said:
I find the act of touching strangers oddly unsettling.
Well, of course. That's why I always throw on a pair of disposable latex gloves first.
max_altitude said:
The only time hand shaking should not be used, is in primary school when "boy germs" and "girl germs" exist.
It's also a bit awkward when visiting your grandparents. Especially the bit with the gloves.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
FWIW, Donald Trump is on record as saying that he prefers not to shake hands... he prefers bowing in the Japanese style. I'm guessing he's concerned that shaking hands is unhygienic.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I try to follow that rule, though sometimes, out of habit I reach out to shake a woman's hand. It not a huge deal, but I try to remember.

Also a man is only supposed to grip the woman's hand as hard as she grips his... If she gives a very loose handshake, the man should as well. If she gives a firm handshake, the man should grip just as firm, but no more firm than the woman. At least thats what I've heard. It seems like a good rule to me.

clayj said:
I'm guessing he's concerned that shaking hands is unhygienic.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've heard that he's a germophobe.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
clayj said:
FWIW, Donald Trump is on record as saying that he prefers not to shake hands... he prefers bowing in the Japanese style. I'm guessing he's concerned that shaking hands is unhygienic.
I think he just finds that to be an easier way to look down their dresses. ;)

But I agree: bowing is cool... but not all that normal around here, which is too bad, as it also helps you to verify that your zipper is properly up.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Heb1228 said:
I try to follow that rule, though sometimes, out of habit I reach out to shake a woman's hand. It not a huge deal, but I try to remember.

Also a man is only supposed to grip the woman's hand as hard as she grips his... If she gives a very loose handshake, the man should as well. If she gives a firm handshake, the man should grip just as firm, but no more firm than the woman. At least thats what I've heard. It seems like a good rule to me.
good rule. Aren't those flimsy handshakes revolting though? Something about that screams "wus" no matter who it is. (or that southern belle 'tip of the fingers' bit. <gags> what is that?)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
iBlue said:
good rule. Aren't those flimsy handshakes revolting though? Something about that screams "wus" no matter who it is. (or that southern belle 'tip of the fingers' bit. <gags> what is that?)
I don't mind weak handshakes from women... but from men it kind of weirds me out. (unless its just one of my friends doing it to be funny)

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Yeah, wimpy man-handshakes are not cool. I hate to say it, but it really gives me a negative impression of the man. Even worse is the guy that wont stop shaking your hand....jeez:rolleyes:

As to the "fingertip/southern belle" handshake with women, i find it charming, but a bit weird coming from a female in their mid-20's.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Heb1228 said:
I don't mind weak handshakes from women... but from men it kind of weirds me out. (unless its just one of my friends doing it to be funny)
even from women. I mean we do have to open doors and pickle jars and stuff, a totally dead fish handshake is just pitiful I think. From a guy it's even weirder. Handshakes are a rather stupid form of greeting but since it's done at least it can be done properly. (according to me :p )

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
iBlue said:
Handshakes are a rather stupid form of greeting
I agree... right off the bat you're putting something between yourself and the person you're greeting. I guess thats a good thing if the person creeps you out or smells. But the kiss on the cheek thing that other societies do seems much more personal.

Ah whatever. This is like that time you go through in life questioning why people greet you with "how are you doing?" when they don't really want an answer. Then you realize its just a customary greeting the same thing as saying hi and there's no need to think that much about it. :confused:

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
jadekitty24 said:
I find the act of touching strangers oddly unsettling.

So true. Unless I'm drunk. And I want to be unsettled.

Heb1228 said:

Really? I usually never grip the other person's hand. It's like, they stick their hand out at me (which is ridiculous enough), I stick my hand back into their palm, but I don't close my fingers or "grip." I guess some would see this as a "weak" handshake. Maybe it is. But it's much more like a "Why the hell do I have to touch you?" kind of thing. It's also sort of like a "Um ... here's my hand ... now why did you want it again?" kind of thing.

But this is generally centered in a deep loathing of human contact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.