Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I was wondering why people choose the iPhone 5 over the Galaxy S III ? Don;t get me wrong I think both phones are fantastic but it intrigues me on what basis people choose the iPhone 5 . I guess its the ecosystem and ease of use ? - Compatibility with existing iPad,Macbook etc ? As basing it on pure hardware spec the Galaxy SIII outguns the iPhone 5. Especially with the S IV coming soon.

Once again i'd like to repeat i'm not biased to either side, just want to know the benefits of switching to an iPhone 5 over the Galaxy SIII.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Top few (legitimate) responses I have seen are the ecosystem (we will include apps with this) as well as smoothness. I also often hear physical size, specifically width (I have no problems, and my hands are by no means large, but everyone has a preference).

You will also hear updates (although I think these are less of a big deal as Apple has historically kept older phones from utilizing the "killer features" of the next OS, though that didn't happen with the 4S, so you never know). Battery life concerns exist for some people as well, although limiting things like live wallpapers and widgets to only those that you frequently use helps a great deal, even while running things completely stock.

Although I am not going with the iPhone 5 (at least at launch) Apple's support is also fabulous. One can walk into the store with an issue and get their phone replaced on the spot. If it's their fault, they pay a paltry $200 to replace a $700-$900 device. If it's not, it's a free, and again ON THE SPOT, replacement. No other manufacturer comes close to this.

EDIT: BTW, that would be Galaxy S IV (not IIII)

dwburnell

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
I was wondering why people choose the iPhone 5 over the Galaxy S III ? Don;t get me wrong I think both phones are fantastic but it intrigues me on what basis people choose the iPhone 5 . I guess its the ecosystem and ease of use ? - Compatibility with existing iPad,Macbook etc ? As basing it on pure hardware spec the Galaxy SIII outguns the iPhone 5. Especially with the S IIII coming soon.

Once again i'd like to repeat i'm not biased to other side, just want to know the benefits of switching to an iPhone 5 over the Galaxy SIII.

My main reason is all the computers I own are Apple so it's a lot easier. Also, I have had an iPhone since the 3G. The reason I haven't moved to Android is the simplicity of the iPhone, the one stop shop for repairs/technical questions at the Apple store, and how most (not all) developers will develop great apps for the iPhone first. If I could afford a second line/phone I would probably get the GS3 though.

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I was wondering why people choose the iPhone 5 over the Galaxy S III ? Don;t get me wrong I think both phones are fantastic but it intrigues me on what basis people choose the iPhone 5 . I guess its the ecosystem and ease of use ? - Compatibility with existing iPad,Macbook etc ? As basing it on pure hardware spec the Galaxy SIII outguns the iPhone 5. Especially with the S IIII coming soon.

Once again i'd like to repeat i'm not biased to other side, just want to know the benefits of switching to an iPhone 5 over the Galaxy SIII.

I think you just answered your own question. Some, if not most, people don't care about specs.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Apple being a highly trusted Brand and the iPhone being a household name is probably the number one reason.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
One argument I have heard against the iPhone 5 is that you might as well keep your iPhone 4/4S if you have one and install IOS 6. apart from LTE and a faster processor what other benefits are there of switching to the iPhone 5 ?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
iPhone 5 is more attractive and has awesome build quality. The specs are top-notch, the screen size is more usable, and Apple's support is unmatched. Plus, the software for many is far better than Android. Those are my reasons.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm reading now people using GM iOS 6 on a 4S even have native panorama. I'm not seeing reason enough to upgrade, as much as I'd like LTE I cant justify the expense. I don't know what 4" is measured out but the screen will only be a max of 3/8" taller (maybe less?), so I can live without that.

I think the 4S will keep me happy till the next iPhone.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
I think you just answered your own question. Some, if not most, people don't care about specs.

A lot of the reasosns stated for buying the iPhone 5 are fetures that are in the IOS , it seems that Apple have just made a slightly larger phone and an incremental processor upgrade. Even the Ipad had an hardware change with the display it was the first of its kind. What's that feature with this new Iphone 5 ? Only difference I can see is the new IOS 6 which is only make it level with the Galaxy S III , soon to be outdated by the Galaxy S IV . So technically you could still keep the 4S upgrade to IOS6 and have a phone which is basically the iphone 5 minus the 4G which isn't in the UK yet.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Top few (legitimate) responses I have seen are the ecosystem (we will include apps with this) as well as smoothness. I also often hear physical size, specifically width (I have no problems, and my hands are by no means large, but everyone has a preference).

You will also hear updates (although I think these are less of a big deal as Apple has historically kept older phones from utilizing the "killer features" of the next OS, though that didn't happen with the 4S, so you never know). Battery life concerns exist for some people as well, although limiting things like live wallpapers and widgets to only those that you frequently use helps a great deal, even while running things completely stock.

Although I am not going with the iPhone 5 (at least at launch) Apple's support is also fabulous. One can walk into the store with an issue and get their phone replaced on the spot. If it's their fault, they pay a paltry $200 to replace a $700-$900 device. If it's not, it's a free, and again ON THE SPOT, replacement. No other manufacturer comes close to this.

EDIT: BTW, that would be Galaxy S IV (not IIII)

^^pretty much what this dude said. Oh, that and people fearing the unknown. If you have invested lots of moolah in iphone apps I can understand the reluctance to switch.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Everyone values money differently, of course, but I never really understood the whole "I've invested X amount of money in iOS, therefore I must stay" especially if you're someone who thinks they'll be happier with another platform.

It's like playing poker... just because you've already put a lot into the pot, you don't continue putting more into it if you feel you want to play a better hand. You fold.

I switched over having spent money on iOS. You get over it. And the reward? A far richer and better experience overall. Totally worth it, in my eyes.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Everyone values money differently, of course, but I never really understood the whole "I've invested X amount of money in iOS, therefore I must stay" especially if you're someone who thinks they'll be happier with another platform.

It's like playing poker... just because you've already put a lot into the pot, you don't continue putting more into it if you feel you want to play a better hand. You fold.

I switched over having spent money on iOS. You get over it. And the reward? A far richer and better experience overall. Totally worth it, in my eyes.

It does make sense. I get the feeling that getting the iPhone 5 is playing safe, as opposed to (possibly) getting a better product and taking the leap and buying the Samsung Galaxy S III . The reasons against Apple are very airy- fairy.

I do like the feature in the Galaxy S III to read out your "to-do" items in the alarm for example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.