Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
This is just pathetic. I have allotted 90% of my .Mac space to iDisk. I use about half of my quota. I have maybe 200 files in my Documents folder.

Usually I can access my space. Sometimes I'm not so lucky.

Sometimes it takes up to 5-7 minutes, just to see the contents of my directories. I usually bail if that doesn't work. So that's another 1-3 tries. Of course, even after you hit cancel, it takes maybe 2-3 minutes to register.

Ok, so I finally get my list of files. If I try to transfer files to the iDisk, it usually doesn't start until a few minutes later, if at all. And when it does, it's like a 2400 baud modem (okay, maybe 56k... in other words freaking slow). And I have cable.

Could be peak hours, I guess. But I don't really have a desire to access my files at 4 am. I got a complimentary .Mac account for working at the Apple Store, maybe employees get the lowest priority on the server?

IMO, iDisk is one of the few good things about .Mac. And now, OS integration is about the only good thing about iDisk. I'll use my USB key. Worthless. :mad:

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
Me as well. I assumed I was getting slow access because I'm not in North America. :( I wish Apple would really do something with .Mac. Weren't we supposed to get some exclusive widgets? I wouldn't mind a bump in free storage space, either. Gmail puts .Mac to shame, for free.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
plasticparadox said:
Me as well. I assumed I was getting slow access because I'm not in North America. :( I wish Apple would really do something with .Mac. Weren't we supposed to get some exclusive widgets? I wouldn't mind a bump in free storage space, either. Gmail puts .Mac to shame, for free.
ThinkSecret.com had a story ;ast week about hos Apple was supposed to be relasing the .mac widgets and a new version of Backup in the next month or so. My iDisk performance is pitiful as well. I don't even try to browse the folders. The only think I use mine for is hosting my website, and the web hosting seems to work at a pretty good speed. I just use RapidWeaver to upload the files and all the pages to it.

Actually my iDisk crashed my Mac the other day. I turned off the Airport card and closed the lid of my Powerbook to take it to class. And I open up the powerbook and after a couple of minutes I get the dialogue that I had been disconnected from a mounted volume (my iDisk) and after that the computer started freezing. First Finder wouldn't respond, then Word, then nothing but beach ball. I had to do a hard restart in class. UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
dferrara said:
Could be peak hours, I guess. But I don't really have a desire to access my files at 4 am. I got a complimentary .Mac account for working at the Apple Store, maybe employees get the lowest priority on the server?
According to Think Secret... :eek:

Not surprisingly, Apple retail employees are ordered not to comment on rumors to customers under any circumstances. Furthermore, while Apple employees are granted permission by Apple to create their own personal Web pages and blogs, they are not allowed to comment on anything related to Apple on such pages. Furthermore, they are prohibited from posting in any capacity on any Mac-related Websites or forums, whether they identify themselves as working for Apple or not.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Furthermore, they are prohibited from posting in any capacity on any Mac-related Websites or forums, whether they identify themselves as working for Apple or not.

LOL, yep, that's why I was fired. Of course, I didn't know then that my freedom of speech was gone. What are they smoking? Their most loyal fan base isn't allowed to talk about their favorite brand? Ridiculous. Well, that's why they are hiring a bunch of bimbos now. Don't expect the people in those stores to be die-hard, long-time Mac users anymore. Most of them are just the schmucks who worked at Sears.

But, back on topic, that widget better be fricking amazing.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Now the !@#$ing thing is making my Finder crash. It's been 20 minutes and I still can't see my god damn files! WTF APPLE. :mad:

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
dferrara said:
Now the !@#$ing thing is making my Finder crash. It's been 20 minutes and I still can't see my @#$@# files! WTF APPLE. :mad:
Yeah it does that to me quite a bit recently too. I'm thinking of not renewing in Oct because of this.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Heb1228 said:
Yeah it does that to me quite a bit recently too. I'm thinking of not renewing in Oct because of this.

If they had a notice about their servers it might be understandable, but it says all lights are green.

I just submitted feedback and a technical support complaint... I'll post what they have to say.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
.Mac Support said:
If everything on the Macintosh HD appears to be OK, or running Disk First Aid does not solve your issue, you may wish to repair your disk permissions by opening your Macintosh HD, going to the Applications folder, opening the Utilities folder, and opening the Disk Utilities application. This should appear very similar to the screen you would have seen running Disk First Aid . Again, select the Macintosh HD, go to the First Aid tab, and this time verify and repair the disk permissions.

My permissions don't need to be repaired. :mad: *sigh*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.