Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intuit recently released Quicken Online Mobile [App Store, Free], a new iPhone application providing access to Quicken Online, Intuit's free online service for automatically organizing multiple financial accounts in one location. Quicken Online Mobile offers the following features:
- See your online accounts all in one place - See your bank, credit card, loans and other accounts all in one place, so you know exactly where your money is going.
- Stay ahead of payday - Paycheck Forecaster shows you how much you have left and what bills are coming, so you can make the rent AND go out with your friends.
- Easy budgeting - Stay on top of your budget goals and track how you're doing.
- Automatic updates - All of your Quicken finances are automatically up-to-date whenever you log in.
- Cash tracking - Your accounts update automatically, but your wallet doesn't synch. See where ALL your money is going by tracking your cash with Quicken Online Mobile.
- Find the closest ATM - In a new part of town? Away on a trip? Find an ATM with the simple touch of a button.
Intuit also provides a video preview of the new application:

Article Link: Intuit's 'Quicken Online Mobile' Now Available in App Store

space1nvaders

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
It's impossible to use Quicken like this video

In this high-tech world, you never know what it posting to your bank account. They make it look like you can actually balance your checkbook and know when you can spend $40 or $50.

You could take the time to manually enter every time you scan your ATM/Debit card, but that still won't tell you WHEN automatic charges hit your account. You would have to spend hours each week just to keep track of it.

The only way you know how much money you have is by going online to your bank but that still doesn't always tell you what will hit your account.

For people with low balances, it is better to just use your credit card instead of your check card for purchases. The check card gets you into trouble because each time you overdraft it can cost you $35. Using a credit card limits you to just one over limit fee per month usually.

I don't recommend trying to use Quicken in the way they think we can. It is better just to have a savings account and use that money for extra spending.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
If it interacted with my Mac's software (both Quicken & TurboTax), I'd be a-buyin'. This cloud computing version, though, ain't my style regardless of how secure they claim.

I use Quicken as a recorder of what I've done with a checkbook, credit card (I never use debit), and etc. I don't print checks with it either.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The only way you know how much money you have is by going online to your bank but that still doesn't always tell you what will hit your account.

It's worth noting that this is what Quicken Online does...it pulls the data directly from your bank. Unfortunately, it only updates once per day.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: never know what is posting?

See, that's why I make a practice of *never* letting someone do automatic withdrawals from my checking account.

It's better to do online bill-pay through a bank's web site, but manually pay a bill each month via the site, as needed, vs. automating that process. Sometimes I get an option where a company will email me a "payment due" reminder, which is fine. But why give them free access to your bank account?

I've had a number of times where I decided to purposely delay a utility payment or a car payment by several days, so I could use the remaining money to make a purchase (like groceries) instead. Then, knowing payday was approaching that Friday anyway, I could make the other payment on Friday and all was well. I prefer that to putting groceries on a credit card, creating one MORE bill to remember to pay before a due date, or get hit with high interest charges.

In this high-tech world, you never know what it posting to your bank account. They make it look like you can actually balance your checkbook and know when you can spend $40 or $50.

You could take the time to manually enter every time you scan your ATM/Debit card, but that still won't tell you WHEN automatic charges hit your account. You would have to spend hours each week just to keep track of it.

For people with low balances, it is better to just use your credit card instead of your check card for purchases. The check card gets you into trouble because each time you overdraft it can cost you $35. Using a credit card limits you to just one over limit fee per month usually.

I don't recommend trying to use Quicken in the way they think we can. It is better just to have a savings account and use that money for extra spending.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
This app is useless without support for the desktop version of Quicken. Oh yeah, that will never happen because that is fast becoming abandonware. I have 4 years worth of info on the desktop version of Quicken, and I can't import it into Q-online. Besides Q-online does not do what I need.

FAIL.:mad:

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Free is good :)

I've been using PocketMoney for numerous reasons but to stay on topic I'm going to give this app a try. We are slowly moving forward with these apps and it's nice to see it's release. The feedback they get will only help improve the features. Many of the concerns posted above are all valid and providing them feedback helps us all.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is actually very nice effort, better than Mint.com's iPhone app IMO (Mint.com should get some credit for being first to market, however).

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
Tried both Quicken Online (even before it was free) and Mint and am much more satisfied with Mint.com for sure - such an easy and hassle-free way to monitor all of my accounts' transactions and categorize expenditures in just minutes each week. And all of my bank accounts, credit cards, investments, and loans are accessible from my iPhone.

Mint.com rules and Quicken is desperately trying to catch up as evidenced by Intuit's threatening letter to Mint.com below:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/02/1...nt-is-doing-so-well-sends-threatening-letter/

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

I think better advice would be to NEVER EVER get a fake visa card. And do not EVER give anyone acces to automatically deduct OR deposit anything to your acct. Even your employer unless you really trust them. Giving your company access to deposit also permits them to DEDUCT in case of an error on deposit.

I have one auto deduction in my whole universe. TiVo. And it's to a real credit card. And, like I assumed most people did, I have always written ATMs in my checkbook and balanced it before paying bills. I think people might discover this is actually easier than using quicken.

However, having it on the iPhone is actually more convenient than a checkbook. They may be on to something.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
If it interacted with my Mac's software (both Quicken & TurboTax), I'd be a-buyin'. This cloud computing version, though, ain't my style regardless of how secure they claim.

I use Quicken as a recorder of what I've done with a checkbook, credit card (I never use debit), and etc. I don't print checks with it either.
I agree 100%..I thought this was going to connect with the software at home

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston

How often do you pull money out of the ATM? It takes less than a minute to enter my ATM and credit card receipts into quicken using the Quicken Dashboard widget. As for automatic charges, those shouldn't be a surprise. If you schedule them in Quicken, the calendar shows you very quickly what is coming up, and the Forecast tool shows you how much money you will have on any given day.

As for a $35 overdraft charge, that is way high! You need a new bank. My bank has free overdraft protection. If I were to overdraft, they pull the money from another account or charge my credit card the as needed to cover my overcharged amount and I pay no penalty or fee.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I agree 100%..I thought this was going to connect with the software at home
I expect this to sync with Quicken Financial Life for Mac when it debuts in a couple months. I can't speak for the PC version of Quicken, but there's no way anyone would write an app to interface with old Quicken Mac 2007.

I was using Mint for a while, mainly because Quicken has temporarily abandoned us Mac users. It was okay, but I didn't like how you couldn't add transactions yourself, [had to wait for the bank to post it, and with small credit card transactions, it could take a business day or two to clear, thus giving me an inaccurate representation of the money I had at present time.] I also didn't like how Mint stored financial information, seemed insecure.

With the Quicken Mobile app I can add transactions in right when I do them and seems more feature-rich than Mint's Mobile app. Quicken won me back, yay! :)

And if it does Sync with QFL when it's released, they officially go back to #1 for Mac IMO. :D

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I use Money for Windows on my Mac. I really wish they made it for the Mac so I could ditch Parallels.

This Quicken Online is okay. I just set it up. It's very limited. No reports, no tracking of net worth, charting investment performance, etc.

So I'll use it just so I can use the iPhone app and could look at my positions on the go. But I have to keep the Microsoft Money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.