Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsbarone

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to put together a lightweight, web based inventory database for the hospital I work at. We're currently using an *OLD* access 97 database that we all want to get rid of. The information stored within is really simple---pretty much just Service Tag, Computer Name, Date Updated, ram, an comments. We have about 1200 pcs here that we'll need to inventory.

My question is this: What would be the easiest, most stable way of getting this done? We don't need anything frilly---what do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

J

GothicChess.Com

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to put together a lightweight, web based inventory database for the hospital I work at. We're currently using an *OLD* access 97 database that we all want to get rid of. The information stored within is really simple---pretty much just Service Tag, Computer Name, Date Updated, ram, an comments. We have about 1200 pcs here that we'll need to inventory.

My question is this: What would be the easiest, most stable way of getting this done? We don't need anything frilly---what do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

J

Even for "simple" projects, programmers work best from a "spec" (short for specification) that describes what you want to achieve.

In your case, what is presently unknown:

1. Will there be just one "view" of the data, or will the user have options from the brower level?

2. The database engine can drive queries such as search, sort, select... etc., so do you intend to make the browser communicate such queries to the db engine?

3. Are certain db features prohibitted through a security hierarchy? For example, can a "guest" add or delete records? If not a guest, can a db admin access it remotely and add/change/delete records, etc.

While sounding simple, your post can mask some hidden requirements, and it is best to think about them now rather than later.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I second the Ruby on Rails suggestion, probably with a MySQL DBMS behind it (or SQL Server or whatever if you already own it).

You can get going really quick with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.