Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zelkor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi folks

Thought I'd let you know that I just purchased an Invisible Shield Max Coverage kit from ZAGG for my new iPhone 4.

Unfortunately, it does not improve the antenna issue at all.

The antenna membrane isn't large enough horizontally. There is a few millimetres missing on each side, therefore there is skin contact with both parts of the antenna. I'm amazed they released this product without making sure the whole antenna is covered horizontally. When skin touches, even if it is 1mm, the reception is affected.

It might look good when you use only the top of the finger for a test such as in the featured video at http://www.zagg.com/iphone-4-antenna-fix.php but with real usage, as in normal cornered palm, it does not.

And yes, I did put the membrane carefully as instructed. I tried several techniques and at the end, it does help with reception when you custom cut an unused part that fully cover the whole antenna. Unfortunately, it's very hard to make it fit properly with the flaps and looks horrible. Honestly, when you purchase a product like that you shouldn't have to custom tweak it to make it "work".

So that's my experience with this product. I'm very disappointed as I was expecting something much better.

That being said, the protective membrane for the back is fine and is, as advertised, invisible ;) Didn't use the front one though.

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
"Honestly, when you purchase a product like that you shouldn't have to custom tweak it to make it "work".

Isn't buying an iphone with an "antenna" problem essentially the same thing as what you said in your post though?

Perhaps one of the bumpers or other cases will provide relief to this problem.

zelkor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Good point ;) That being said, I purchased the iPhone 4 fully aware of the antenna issue. I then purchased a product that was advertised as a relief for this issue which isn't.

The antenna issue isn't disastrous for me (it can be for some people though) and I can live with it. I was simply looking for a solution to get rid of it.

The invisible shield isn't this solution. Just wanted to let other people know about this and don't be fooled by their marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.