Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've got a question/problem that's been bugging me for a while. Underscores (_) don't show up in the terminal. They just look like spaces. Typing them shows up as a space, but otherwise they work fine. For example, if I have a file called "my_file" and I type "rm my_file" to remove it, it shows up as "rm my file". If I hit enter, the command does work as expected, and copying and pasting from Terminal into TextEdit behaves as you'd expect (that is, underscores transfer over). Any idea why this is happening? It seems like it didn't do this at one time, but I have no idea if I did anything to cause it or when it started. I've attached a screen shot below.

Attachments

• nounderscore.jpg
    nounderscore.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 229

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Do you know if it ever worked correctly, since you changed the colors and fonts? It could be an issue with the font you're using. The default font settings are Monaco regular, 10 pt, width and height at 1.0.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks for the reply. That was the problem! I was using Andale Mono, and when I switched back to Monaco the problem disappeared. I don't remember changing it to Andale Mono, but obviously I did. Anyway, thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Glad it helped! It always seems to be something little and random like that. I can't believe there's a relatively major character set that doesn't have the underscore properly defined! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.