Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IcedT1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
I have set a clean install on my iPhone 6s, then I set it as new and let it sit there in airplane mode for a whole night, it drains from 100% to 30% in only 7 hours and I totally have no idea why. I have tried so many alternative like installing ios 10.1 or ios 10.2 but that does not resolve my issue. This battery is new as I just installed a brand new battery. (same problem happened to the old OEM battery) Does anyone have the same issue on their iPhone 6s? Is this a hardware issue? I don't think apple will cover it with warranty since I installed the battery myself. No it does not shut down at 30%, but the percentage drops by 1 every single minute when I am just browsing the web.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.PNG
    IMG_1315.PNG
    123.4 KB · Views: 191

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have set a clean install on my iPhone 6s, then I set it as new and let it sit there in airplane mode for a whole night, it drains from 100% to 30% in only 7 hours and I totally have no idea why. I have tried so many alternative like installing ios 10.1 or ios 10.2 but that does not resolve my issue. This battery is new as I just installed a brand new battery. (same problem happened to the old OEM battery) Does anyone have the same issue on their iPhone 6s? Is this a hardware issue? I don't think apple will cover it with warranty since I installed the battery myself. No it does not shut down at 30%, but the percentage drops by 1 every single minute when I am just browsing the web.
What's at the top of your usage list there, and how much time is it on screen and in the background (you can tap the little clock icon on the right to see that).

IcedT1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
I can't show it to you, since it was taken in the morning and I only took the screenshot of the bottom part. But I can assure you it is not some kind of rogue app running in background. This is my battery usage as of today, with a terrible usage time. When I set it as new without any apps and let it sit for a whole day, the battery would still drains while not showing any app running in the background in the battery usage (for real, just blank) I suspect this to be a hardware issue but I have idea which part of my phone is not working well. This iPhone 6s is not qualified for battery recall program.

Attachments

• IMG_1328.PNG
    IMG_1328.PNG
    134.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1327.PNG
    IMG_1327.PNG
    159.1 KB · Views: 138

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can't show it to you, since it was taken in the morning and I only took the screenshot of the bottom part. But I can assure you it is not some kind of rogue app running in background. This is my battery usage as of today, with a terrible usage time. When I set it as new without any apps and let it sit for a whole day, the battery would still drains while not showing any app running in the background in the battery usage (for real, just blank) I suspect this to be a hardware issue but I have idea which part of my phone is not working well. This iPhone 6s is not qualified for battery recall program.
So are these all basically first battery cycles after a restore? Or does that continue to happen after a few battery cycles (and basically a few days)?

IcedT1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Unfortunately yes, I have tried this several days and it keeps happening. It starts happening after I updated to iOS 10.1.1 and restoring to any version of iOS proved to be futile. The latest version of iOS 10.2 beta 7 was installed today and it seems to have the same behavior.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unfortunately yes, I have tried this several days and it keeps happening. It starts happening after I updated to iOS 10.1.1 and restoring to any version of iOS proved to be futile. The latest version of iOS 10.2 beta 7 was installed today and it seems to have the same behavior.
And this is even when doing a completely clean/new install without using a backup (and perhaps without even logging into iCloud or setting up any mail/etc. accounts)?

IcedT1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
Oh yes, I have tried all the solutions possible. And it runs hot too on standby even after clean install. This is why I suspect it to be hardware issue but I don't know which part is having problem since no one seems to have the same issue that I have.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
If it would work and get hot when screen is on - it would be screen cables for sure. But if it's even draining in idle I have few questions:

- was it even drop into water and you let it dry ?

- you changed SIM card lately?

- could you check charging port for any dust or rust ?

- you can go to Apple Store but imho it's something with motherboard or cpu itself - you will pay 100% because any changes you do to hardware is cancelling guarantee

IcedT1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
If it would work and get hot when screen is on - it would be screen cables for sure. But if it's even draining in idle I have few questions:

- was it even drop into water and you let it dry ?

- you changed SIM card lately?

- could you check charging port for any dust or rust ?

- you can go to Apple Store but imho it's something with motherboard or cpu itself - you will pay 100% because any changes you do to hardware is cancelling guarantee

I am not sure if its the screen cable, since it already started happening before I tear my phone down.
- No, it was completely dry and wasn't exposed to any liquid before the occurrence of the issue.

-I did change my SIM card, and sometime it appear "Invalid SIM" but it was only few moments that I had it. Is it an issue? I don't think it is the SIM card (still possible to be) since I always let it sit on airplane mode when testing.

-No rust, a bit of dust.

-I think the same, because it gets hot on the seemingly spot on the CPU -- few millimeters below the camera. I didn't know Apple would still repair my phone even though it was unauthorized disassembled. I would look at the warranty policy for more details.
[doublepost=1481387053][/doublepost]https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13054056
It seems like I'm not the only one with this issue. Other users also reported their phones die at 30% but I have none of those except rapid drain during standby.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
You replaced the battery so your issue is not related to the faulty iPhone 6s batteries. Whats your cell signal strength when you are on standby and this raid draining is occurring? If you are are 1-2 bars, that could explain it. 1 bar of service has depleted my iPhone 7Plus battery in under 5 hours (without touching it). Definitely sounds like a hardware problem, but because you opened the phone and replaced the battery, your warranty is now void.

If you were covered under warranty and thought there was a problem with your battery why didn't you contact Apple? They would have replaced it for free and your warranty would still be intact, assuming it was defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.