Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I'm keeping the Find My Airpods app on my iPhone even after the beta goes gold. I used the app this weekend to find a lost left AirPod that had flew out of the case and was about 10 feet away. In a noisy Cafe, those little chips would have never worked. The Find My Airpods use BT strength to give you proximity meter. It worked and I would have never have found the left one without the app.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
This was in the UK news a few weeks ago that that app got canned, and people were saying "oh, Apple wants me to loose them so they can make more money out of me when I have to buy new ones" - and a lot of similar nonsense. I said then that aside from the conspiracy theories its probably more likely that the app approvers didn't know Apple was planning to make it a feature anyway and managment ordered its removal. - People then got upset that I wasn't bashing Apple enough!

Okay, fair enough that Apple is coming up with their own solution. However that doesn't justify taking out an app a developer went through the trouble of making and paying the fee to submit it to the app store.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Haha!

Apple wants you to lose the EarCigs... because, you know, profit!

What are Earcigs? You must have the wrong product information. This article is about the Airpods, you know, the item that's been wildly popular and is back ordered through March.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Not terribly useful when you're just trying to find where those damn things are in your current location (aka your apt/house).

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
How stupid or drunk can you be to not notice missing AirPod ;)
Oh well, can be useful for lots of ********s out there

Um, yeah. I am very careful with my devices. Pulling the slippery case out of a pocket, it can go flying and as I experienced first hand, one of the AirPods flew out and landed (no joke) about 10 feet away. If I didn't have the Find My AirPods app, I would have never found it and would be on the hook for a 70 buck replacement.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Would be neat if one could set an alert to pop up when the device unpaired (i.e. Went out of range). I feel like that is likely to be more useful. At least for me. 100% chance with these that, if lost, they're in the gym. For that I need an almost immediate remind and not an "oh ****, where did I leave them?!" Three hours later. By then it's probably too far gone.

Still, an obvious move in the right direction that I am sure will serve some very well.
[doublepost=1485369100][/doublepost]
What are Earcigs? You must have the wrong product information. This article is about the Airpods, you know, the item that's been wildly popular and is back ordered through March.
They do kinda look like tiny electric cigarettes to me now that he mentions it. Lol.
[doublepost=1485369149][/doublepost]
Okay, fair enough that Apple is coming up with their own solution. However that doesn't justify taking out an app a developer went through the trouble of making and paying the fee to submit it to the app store.
Are we sure that's what happened here? I don't know, which is why I ask, but I thought Apple stopped doing that ages ago.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Would be neat if one could set an alert to pop up when the device unpaired (i.e. Went out of range). I feel like that is likely to be more useful. At least for me. 100% chance with these that, if lost, they're in the gym. For that I need an almost immediate remind and not an "oh ****, where did I leave them?!" Three hours later. By then it's probably too far gone.

Still, an obvious move in the right direction that I am sure will serve some very well.
[doublepost=1485369100][/doublepost]
They do kinda look like tiny electric cigarettes to me now that he mentions it. Lol.
[doublepost=1485369149][/doublepost]
Are we sure that's what happened here? I don't know, which is why I ask, but I thought Apple stopped doing that ages ago.

I would hire a lawyer if I were that ignorant

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I would hire a lawyer if I were that ignorant

I was trying to understand if we specifically heard from the developer or if we are just assuming. I try not to just assume things, no matter how obvious it might seem. Apple has fallen into legal trouble for their previous stance of disallowing apps that duplicate features on the iPhone. It is the reason why we have notes apps, calculators, and flashlights, just to name a few examples.

No need to be rude.

Last edited:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
How the heck do people lose AirPods? Yeah, they're small... No ****. That is why you don't place them in random places where you think you might lose them. It's how I don't get when people lose their phone at home or wherever. Like, where are you placing them that you could potentially lose it?

Losing them doesn't always mean putting them somewhere and forgetting where they are. As my experience last week evidenced, it's relatively easy for one of these bad boys to go flying out of the case when the case hits the ground. It happens. One of the pods was right next to the case and within view, the other was 10 feet away in a noisy café.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.