Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's iOS 10 update includes more than 100 new emoji with expanded gender options for a wide range of activities and professions, allowing users to choose a man or a woman when expressing themselves through emoji.

Emoji that previously only featured men, such as the cyclist, swimmer, police officer, and construction worker, are now available for either gender, and emoji that previously featured only women, such as the haircut emoji or the massage emoji, now also feature men. All of the new emoji are also available in a range of different skin tones.

ios10beta4emoji.jpg
More than one hundred new and redesigned emoji characters will be available to iPhone and iPad users this Fall with iOS 10. This exciting update brings more gender options to existing characters, including new female athletes and professionals, adds beautiful redesigns of popular emoji, a new rainbow flag and more family options.
The new emoji come following changes to Unicode implemented in July by the Unicode Emoji Subcommittee, which include male and female versions of 33 existing emoji. The change also included a range of new professions from scientist to doctor to cook, but Apple does not appear to have added these.

iOS 10 beta 4 is currently available for developers and can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air on devices running previous iOS 10 betas. Apple will likely release a new public beta containing the emoji later this week, and a worldwide public release will come in the fall alongside new iOS devices.

Article Link: iOS 10 Beta 4 Includes Dozens of New Emoji Promoting Gender Equality

Reactions: jjm3

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Great, two of everything.

Better pick the right one or be called sexist.

Can we not just go back to gender neutral emojis where it was all simple?

Looks like you are not the target audience for those. My much younger coworkers love emojis. They text all day long. They would never ever think about using the phone for an actual phone call. So I can see this being a very welcome upgrade for a lot of young people.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Oh boy, here we go again.

Cue all the "kumbaya" and "can't we all just get along!" versus the "this is ridiculous" and "Steve Jobs would have never..." quotes!

Reactions: nzgeorge

PipSeg

Suspended
May 12, 2016
When they updated the emojis before that allowed users to choose the skin color, I had a thought that it just makes sense that a user should also be able to also choose whether it is a female or male emoji for that specific case.
I welcome new emojis, especially the male haircut one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.