Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krawler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
hi all,
Wanting to know when the final release of iOS 10 is available, to be able to acquire it will I need to delete the beta certificate? Or will it go on as per previous updates?

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
You can choose to remove the profile and just update to the final version when it is released. If you keep the profile you can still update to the final version, but it will afterwards be possible to get future iOS 10 betas as well.

lanetfiravun

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2016
Istanbul , Turkey
You can choose to remove the profile and just update to the final version when it is released. If you keep the profile you can still update to the final version, but it will afterwards be possible to get future iOS 10 betas as well.

I have a different question. I have a backup of iOS 9.3.5. Now i'm on iOS 10 PB7. When the final release comes out, i want to make a clean install. Will i able to use the 9.3.5 backup for iOS 10? Or do i have to make a new backup with PB7 then make a clean install and use backup? What do you suggest?

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I have a different question. I have a backup of iOS 9.3.5. Now i'm on iOS 10 PB7. When the final release comes out, i want to make a clean install. Will i able to use the 9.3.5 backup for iOS 10? Or do i have to make a new backup with PB7 then make a clean install and use backup? What do you suggest?

No

Reactions: lanetfiravun

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Settings > General > (Bottom of the page) Profile. Select the profile, then select iOS Beta Software Profile. Delete Profile. Done.

Sweet thanks! So if I want to update to the actual final build I could see theoretically delete a profile right now?

Reactions: DaveOP

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I would wait until at least until today to see if a GM is released. Odds are good that the public release will happen on Wednesday. If nothing by Tuesday I would go ahead and delete the profile. Other than some minor hiccups the last Beta has been running fine for me.

Reactions: DaveOP

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm in the same boat. So if I remove the beta profile and update to iOS 10 GM do I also have to remove the beta profile off my Apple watch to install watchOS 3.0 GM?

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
You can use a 9.3.5 backup to restore content to an iOS 10 phone. There is no reason this won't work, and tons of people do it. What you CANT do, it take an iOS 10 backup and restore it to an iOS 9 device.

No thats not possible. When you restore an iPhone with an older backup its all or nothing.
You can't cherry pick in the backup what you want.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
No thats not possible. When you restore an iPhone with an older backup its all or nothing.
If the 9.3.5 is an archived backup in iTunes, it can be used to restore on iOS 10 and can be picked during a restore.

If there is no archived backup. Then only the most recent backup can be restored. If that's 9.3.5, then it will restore without issues.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
You can definitely restore a 9.3.5 backup on iOS 10. It'll just show up under iCloud restores (or iTunes restores) and will work quite normally.

I don't know where you got the 'cherry-picking' thing from - nobody said anything about selecting what to backup, just backups in general.

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
You can definitely restore a 9.3.5 backup on iOS 10. It'll just show up under iCloud restores (or iTunes restores) and will work quite normally.

I don't know where you got the 'cherry-picking' thing from - nobody said anything about selecting what to backup, just backups in general.

For gods sake read his question. You can't use iOS 9.3.5 on to iOS 10.
Restore to iOS 9.3.5 but not transfer all information to iOS 10 version.

Reactions: ABC5S

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Last edited:

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Please don't spread misinformation if you can't be bothered to do basic research. Restoring from an older iOS version's backup has been possible since the introduction of iCloud, and even before that in iTunes for many years.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ken-from-a-previous-ios-version-or-is-there-a

This is a forum for beta so assume he uses a beta release and according to Apple "you might not be able"
That why i sad no just so don't do anything he will regret.

If your device has a prerelease version of iOS and you restore the device to an earlier version of iOS, you might not be able to restore your backup. This can happen if the backup is from a later version of iOS. For example, if you restore your device to the current version of iOS and try to use a backup that you created using a prerelease version of iOS.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203282

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
This is a forum for beta so assume he uses a beta release and according to Apple "you might not be able"
That why i sad no just so don't do anything he will regret.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203282

This can happen if the backup is from a later version of iOS.

They mean you cannot restore the beta's backup to a non-beta (IE: cannot restore an iOS 10 backup in iOS 9). The OP was asking whether they would be able to restore an iOS 9 backup to iOS 10, which is the other way.

I think it'd be a good idea for the OP to maintain a local iOS 9.3.5 backup, because if they do too many nightly backups on iOS 10, the iOS 9.3.5 backups get overwritten (usually after a few weeks).

I'm 100% sure you should still be able to restore a beta 8 or GM backup to final 10.0 release, but personally I'd rather use an official backup on an official release, just to avoid any potential debug stuff slipping through (not quite sure how the backup process works internally, but just in case).

Last edited:

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Lappen71 for LVP (least valuable player) lol.

Just to chime in with the others who are correct, you can indeed restore an iOS 9 backup to a device running iOS 10. You can always go up in number (lower to higher) but not down (higher to lower).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.