Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Any idea when one will be able to change the regional settings like it was previously possible. Currently, the regional cannot be different from the iPhone language.

fabio.lordelo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
Any idea when one will be able to change the regional settings like it was previously possible. Currently, the regional cannot be different from the iPhone language.
I don't see that here. My phone is set to Brazilian Portuguese and the region to USA.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Are you sure? It's ok for me, iPhone in French and regional settings to a non-French speaking country.

Yes. My iPhone is set to use English U.K., but I cannot get the regional settings to French Canada.

In previous versions (9 and below) and previous betas (9 and below), you had an "Advanced" options that allowed you to customise your regions. It no longer is available with iOS 10 betas. All that I can hope is that it will be back when it is officially released this autumn.

Last edited:

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
Yes. My iPhone is set to use English U.K., but I cannot get the regional settings to French Canada.

In previous versions and previous iOS 9 betas, you had an "Advanced" options that allowed you to customise your regions. It no longer is available with iOS 10 betas. All that I can hope is that it will be back when it is officially released this autumn.

I noticed it in the very first iOS10 beta as well as in the MacOS Sierra beta. Would love to have it back.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

In previous versions and previous iOS 9 betas, you had an "Advanced" options that allowed you to customise your regions. It no longer is available with iOS 10 betas. All that I can hope is that it will be back when it is officially released this autumn.

There is no French Canada option for Region. Because the region is Canada...

French Canada for Language, yes. But not Region.

Not sure what "advance" options you mean either.

Settings > General > Language & Region

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
There is no French Canada option for Region. Because the region is Canada...

French Canada for Language, yes. But not Region.

Not sure what "advance" options you mean either.

Settings > General > Language & Region

I think he means that the phone's language is English but for e.g the name of the months and days are displayed in French. It worked like this in previous versions of iOS.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I don't find any "advanced" stuff either.
I can perfectly set my iPhone language to English while region set to Japan. (News app is gone however. :( )
This is available in iOS 10 beta 5, and I assume it is always available starting from iOS 9.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
I don't find any "advanced" stuff either.
I can perfectly set my iPhone language to English while region set to Japan. (News app is gone however. :( )
This is available in iOS 10 beta 5, and I assume it is always available starting from iOS 9.

The advanced menu was available in iOS 9 and below

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
As einsteinbqat and Shirasaki note, its really unfortunate about this change in iOS 9.

with iOS 9 you can have:

iPhone language in English (iPhone Language switch)
measures and dates in Japanese (Advanced switch)
And still access News by setting Region to USA
Wallet with USA based apple pay cards

all at the same time.

einsteinbqat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Canada
Checked my iOS 9 iPad mini and yes....
I see the advanced menu.
:(

As einsteinbqat and Shirasaki note, its really unfortunate about this change in iOS 9.

with iOS 9 you can have:

iPhone language in English (iPhone Language switch)
measures and dates in Japanese (Advanced switch)
And still access News by setting Region to USA
Wallet with USA based apple pay cards

all at the same time.

are any oh you testing Sierra? Could you verify if Apple did the same thing for macOS?

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 23.12.48.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 23.13.24.png

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi einsteinbqat
im not testing macOS.
i hope someone will answer your question.
thanks.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
The advanced menu was available in iOS 9 and below

Seems like it could be a bug and not a deliberate removal. If you search Settings for "region" you will see a result for a "Numbers" section that does not actually show up in the Language setting screen.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 294

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Seems like it could be a bug and not a deliberate removal. If you search Settings for "region" you will see a result for a "Numbers" section that does not actually show up in the Language setting screen.
But tapping on it does nothing.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Terrible news that they left the Advanced option. Using Apple since years and now it is not possible anymore to set my Language in English, Region in Dutch and weekdays months als etc. in Dutch language
[doublepost=1473832423][/doublepost]Terrible news that they left the Advanced option. Using Apple since years and now it is not possible anymore to set my Language in English, Region in Dutch and weekdays months als etc. in Dutch language

Matt7993

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Hello I thought I was the only one with this problem :) English is not my native language but I want me iphone in english language a to practise a little but I want my Region settings to be Slovakia. In ios 9 it translated my weekdays to Slovakia too (for example) but in ios 10 it all stays in English. Is it possible to change it somehow like in ios9?

Bubcho

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
Hello, I have the same problem. It is irritating to try to decode us style dates and numbers. I'm going to file a bug report to Apple, too.

xanketsu

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2015
I wasn't aware of this issue when I updated my iPad to iOS 10 this morning.
What should have been 10月02日 is now displayed as Sunday, 2 October.
(I used to set the region as Japanese, and keep the system language to English.)
Had I known about this, I would not update.

It is reported that this issue also present in macOS Sierra. Does this mean that Apple choose to dismiss "multilangual people" as insignificant?

Or perhaps, it is actually insignificant - I don't see any of this mentioned, not even briefly, on the news?
And not that many users brought this up.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here. For example, I definitely will consider many times before buying the new iPhone.
I hope this issue is actually a bug that waits to be ironed and not "deliberate feature".

Note: It is fortunate that my MBP is not eligible for Sierra. I'm stuck on El Capitan, and this saves me from having headache experiencing this "bug" on my main work environment.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
IMHO it is not a bug but a "missing feature". If you look at Sierra, Apple did the same. Also in Sierra I get date format 00/00/00 in stead of 00-00-00 and months and days are displayed in language setting and not region setting. Really a terrible decision

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.