Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trojan1992

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
I have a 2019 JCW and have had this since I got the 11 Pro Max. The music cut outs, the calls switching between CP and the phone itself and the whole OS slowing down. I have done everything but call Apple. I also have a 2020 Supra ( BMW) with wireless CP...it works perfectly, no issues! My 2018 RS3, perfect and my new 911, perfectly. It is something going on with the Mini OS and CP as none of the other cars have issues. Annoying.

Mikepeer

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Nederland
here a mini Copier from the end of 2018, problems with music that fails and the os 13.is slow. with an iphone 11 pro max. misery.

jjord4

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Extremely frustrated here. 2019 4-Door MINI S, CarPlay still unusable for calls and music. Waze works okay, but the entire Carplay system freezes or crashes most of the time. Hoping for a fix soon.

ftmb

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2019
13.2.3 update made. Disappointment with Apple. It did not solve the problem and even made it worse.

pmini

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
See: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250675418?answerId=250675418021&page=16 This says "go to settings, screen time, content and privacy restrictions, allowed apps and then enable car play. I don’t use screen time but it was turned off for me so hopefully it will work for you too"

A couple of people say it started working for them after that. Here goes nothing... I just enabled that in my phone. Will test it when I drive home tonight.

Reactions: Mikepeer

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Well Apple had me run some more diagnostics and also record what the car is doing. They think it may have more to do with Mini so I provided my ticket with BMW/Mini in addition to the diagnostics today. While it is frustrating it really isn't a huge deal as the phone itself works amazing.

Reactions: Mikepeer

pmini

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
See: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250675418?answerId=250675418021&page=16 This says "go to settings, screen time, content and privacy restrictions, allowed apps and then enable car play. I don’t use screen time but it was turned off for me so hopefully it will work for you too"

A couple of people say it started working for them after that. Here goes nothing... I just enabled that in my phone. Will test it when I drive home tonight.

Well that didn't work at all :(

Mikepeer

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Nederland
problem by Apple, and not with mini or bmw. iPhone x and other devices do work. Apple is messing around with iOS 13

michaeldlord

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Santa Fe_New Mexico
"Also new to ‌CarPlay‌ is support for using ‌CarPlay‌ and your iPhone at the same time. In earlier versions of ‌CarPlay‌, if you had Maps up but wanted to do something like change the music on your phone, it would kick you out of Maps on ‌CarPlay‌. That's not the case anymore, so now you can have Maps up while doing other things on your iPhone."

Original Story

I kind of wonder if this feature is the culprit of wireless CarPlay issues. Perhaps the current BMW iDrive systems aren't configured for the amount of data transmitted with this new feature as you could potentially have multiple audio streams playing at once.

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
"Also new to ‌CarPlay‌ is support for using ‌CarPlay‌ and your iPhone at the same time. In earlier versions of ‌CarPlay‌, if you had Maps up but wanted to do something like change the music on your phone, it would kick you out of Maps on ‌CarPlay‌. That's not the case anymore, so now you can have Maps up while doing other things on your iPhone."

Original Story

I kind of wonder if this feature is the culprit of wireless CarPlay issues. Perhaps the current BMW iDrive systems aren't configured for the amount of data transmitted with this new feature as you could potentially have multiple audio streams playing at once.
I can assure you it is not related to that. I used my iPhone X no issues on my car before getting the iPhone 11 PRO. I can also use my phone no problem in my 2018 BMW 330i.

godthisblows

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Well my original ticket with Mini was closed as their automated system opened it with their BMW i (electric) department. I've since opened a new ticket with them and am awaiting Apple to call me back.

pmini

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Yesterday it actually crashed my Mini infotainment system! Music started cutting out even more than usual and then it stopped and the screen said it couldn't find an entertainment source and then it went completely black and it fully restarted (with the mini logo and all that). It then found and connected to carplay and started playing the music again... cutting out as usual of course.

jjord4

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Yesterday it actually crashed my Mini infotainment system! Music started cutting out even more than usual and then it stopped and the screen said it couldn't find an entertainment source and then it went completely black and it fully restarted (with the mini logo and all that). It then found and connected to carplay and started playing the music again... cutting out as usual of course.
Mine does that too if using CarPlay or Bluetooth. I’ve only had success with plugging directly into USB and playing music that way. Otherwise, CarPlay and Bluetooth both cut out or crash system.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I’ve given up on this garbage OS. It’s the worst OS in the history of iOS. CarPlay is a joke for me now. Works maybe a quarter of the time.

Apple’s software team should all be fired and replaced with people who know what they are doing. There is absolutely zero excuse to be this far into the OS with this many updates and not have something as simple as CarPlay working. I hate everything about iOS 13 and can’t wait until the day I can wipe it off my phone for iOS 14.

Oh but it has dark mode. Wow, great.

Reactions: oldmacs and jjord4

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
I’ve given up on this garbage OS. It’s the worst OS in the history of iOS. CarPlay is a joke for me now. Works maybe a quarter of the time.

Apple’s software team should all be fired and replaced with people who know what they are doing. There is absolutely zero excuse to be this far into the OS with this many updates and not have something as simple as CarPlay working. I hate everything about iOS 13 and can’t wait until the day I can wipe it off my phone for iOS 14.

Oh but it has dark mode. Wow, great.
CarPlay works fine for me. Only issue I had was occasional stutters and Subaru fixed that with a firmware update. Nothing needed on Apple's part.

jjord4

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Took my MINI in for an oil change and they also updated the software. Now the option for CarPlay is completely gone. Anyone else? The CarPlay WiFi has disappeared as well.

michaeldlord

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
Santa Fe_New Mexico
Took my MINI in for an oil change and they also updated the software. Now the option for CarPlay is completely gone. Anyone else? The CarPlay WiFi has disappeared as well.

Weird! Both the BMW and MINI websites are still showing the 11024 bin file as the current update package. Snap a photo of your software versions and I'll compare.

Trojan1992

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2019
Apple support is useless.

I have two BMW products that have wireless CP, a 2020 Supra and a 2019 Mini JCW. I got the Supra after I switched to the 11Pro and CP works great. The JCW worked great until I put the Beta iOS13 on it with my X. Then the stuttering started. I hoped by the actual release it would be sorted, no.
However it works perfect in the Supra, it is basically the same system. I have two Audi cars that have CP but require a wire and with the 11P they too are fine.
This week the mini Infotainment just went bonkers, rebooted and locked up. I could not delete my iPhone from he system...still can't even with a reset! I wanted to synch my phone without activating CP so I would at least have a BT connection for calls. From a safety standpoint Apple/Mini need to sort this ASAP. There is something in both the Mini settings and Apple iOS causing this.
Lastly, I used my friends X model ( my old one as he bought from me) synched it with the Mini.....perfect.
Case closed.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I have an iPhone 11 Pro and im currently running 13.1. I have a 2019 Mini Cooper with wireless CarPlay. Ever sense I got the iPhone 11 it keeps cutting out when playing music, also does it when using SIRI etc. Tried unpairing, turning bluetooth on/off on both the car and the device nothing helps. Any others having issues?
Not with that, but the one that annoys me is I can start playing SiriusXM. I make a call, and when it's over, the music doesn't restart. I have to tap pause/play like three+ times before it plays again.
[automerge]1575663289[/automerge]
As will I. (wired CarPlay as GM is too lazy to implement wireless)
Boo. Never even knew there was wireless CarPlay.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
CarPlay works fine for me. Only issue I had was occasional stutters and Subaru fixed that with a firmware update. Nothing needed on Apple's part.

Just went to the dealer and asked if there was a firmware update? I have a 2019 Impreza.

And my CarPlay has been way worse on iOS 13 beta. Always stuttering, saying thinking for a long time and internet connection issues. Well, so she states. Phone is perfectly connected. Gotta unplug and replug it all the time to fix it. Getting annoying now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.