Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunand777

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
Same thing on my Iphone 12. Reseting, restoring, restoring through iTunes and setting as new device didnt help. I was talking with Apple Support, everyting is fine with hardware on my phone sinie they can check it through internet. Funny thing that i was able to replicate this issue on my Iphone Xs, taking many photos and changing to video crashed camera app in the same way as it is crashing on Iphone 12. This has to be software problem. As a proof im attaching a video that i recorded, it shows this issue.
Exact same issue happening in my iphone 12 very often, running latest ios 15.1, seems its not fixed yet.. I just stopped wallpaper changing. Will check if its comes again.

sunand777

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
It has resolved for me after the 15.x update.
I am on 15.1 update , but today i got this issue, I am regularly changing wallpaper 4 times in a day with shortcut automation, now i am stopping this for checking the issue arise again.

mvan231

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2017
Rochester, MI
I am on 15.1 update , but today i got this issue, I am regularly changing wallpaper 4 times in a day with shortcut automation, now i am stopping this for checking the issue arise again.
I will be curious to know your results. I have heard from quite a few people that it's resolved in 15 but maybe certain cases still trigger it

MetallicAchu

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
I thought I was going crazy!!!!

iPhone 11 Pro

I have the same issue on 15.1 and 15.1 beta 2.
I’m changing my wallpaper every 5 minutes through an automation and I tried everything.
Tried restarting with no iCloud support, tried removing all my pictures from iCloud, tried disabling features on camera.

I’m so happy this isn’t a specific bug only I’m facing.
Hopefully it will get resolved soon

Edit: FYI respring solves it the same as reboot. Meaning doing anything that forces springboard (the homepage UI) to reload - like changing the iPhone’s language.
Unfortunately I’m not jailbroken so I can either restart or change language. Haven’t found a quicker way yet

Last edited:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Upon some research it sounds similar to the photos app crashes that some people were experiencing on previous versions of iOS 14. I'm not seeing any evidence that it's a hardware problem rather than a software one.
Update to iOS 15?

MetallicAchu

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
Update on some testing.
I just finished a testing cycle where I changed to dark mode, changed wallpaper, took a picture, changed to white mode, changed wallpaper, took a picture and repeat.

I managed to do 50 changes (50 dark / white mode & 50 wallpaper changes). All wallpaper changes were made through a shortcut action, and it’s a random wallpaper from a list.

So far no problems, so I have to conclude that time is an imperative issue here.
I restarted my phone at about 8Am my time, I’ll try to take a picture every hour or so and update on the finding.

Another thing worth mentioning: I have an automation that changes wallpaper automatically every 5 minutes, so the phone will keep changing throughout the day

MetallicAchu

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
So I finally gave in and stopped changing my wallpaper all together now.
It's not only the camera that caused me issues, the entire iPhone was lagging and was low on memory.
Just switching from one app to another forced the app to reload.

Hopefully that will get solved soon

liewht

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2017
iOS 15.1.1 does not solve the problem
Made 8 wall paper changes per day and eventually crashed the camera within 4 days

danielgart

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2022
Made an account just to reply to this. I have the iPhone 13 pro and have still been experiencing the same issue. I went through a long process, I did everything that Apple support said I should do. We even go to the point of a replacement and it still happened. I am not changing wallpapers and I have like maybe 5 apps open at a time. Apple still hasn't fixed the issue.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I had this issue but to me it seemed related to regularly executing a shortcut, regardless of whether it was changing a wallpaper or not.

I had a shortcut that would enable focus mode every time I opened the camera app, and disable it when closing it. By doing that, sometimes the camera would record defective files in video mode.

After disabling the shortcut, it never happened again. I had it on all iOS 15.x versions.

mvan231

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2017
Rochester, MI
It is strange to me that this is still happening with different cases for people. I was okay with not having wallpaper changing multiple times a day to resolve the issue I had, but seems others are having issues still and not using changing wallpaper at all. I will say that I am having shortcuts execute multiple times a day and this issue hasn't presented itself for me again

Choko

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
IOS 15.5 recently released. Can anyone confirm if this issue still persists or it has been fixed
I just installed iOS 15.7 and I am still having this problem. I have never used wallpaper changer on any iPhones.
Using only dark mode.
Yes I tried to change to back Light mode after reading this article.
Didnt help, still have the issue.

As Im writing this, there is also 16.0 iOS available.
Going to install it and see what happens.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

mvan231

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2017
Rochester, MI
I just installed iOS 15.7 and I am still having this problem. I have never used wallpaper changer on any iPhones.
Using only dark mode.
Yes I tried to change to back Light mode after reading this article.
Didnt help, still have the issue.

As Im writing this, there is also 16.0 iOS available.
Going to install it and see what happens.

iPhone 12 Pro Max
Does rebooting help to solve it at least?

I'm on 16.0 but due to new Lock Screen setups I haven't been using shortcuts wallpaper Changing and also stopped doing it long ago due to this exact issue as well.

Choko

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
Does rebooting help to solve it at least?

I'm on 16.0 but due to new Lock Screen setups I haven't been using shortcuts wallpaper Changing and also stopped doing it long ago due to this exact issue as wel
Yes rebooting is and was the only way to solve this.
I was filming the band and first freeze happened after 8 videos (overall 9min 22sec of video material). I rebooted phone and started to film again.
Next video was 4:15min long and it started to be kinda laggy, and from this same video its laggy from 3:44 to 4:15. And it freezes again. After rewatching video sound was perfectly recorded but the lagging on the video was also recorded.
I rebooted again. This time it didnt help. I rebooted again.
Now its working again.
(Freeze/black screen was always on video and photo mode, even if I only used video mode)
Next freeze happened after 4 videos.

(All videos was recorded on 1080p 60fps and HDR setup was ON, except some in the middle I tried to change 1080p 30fps and HDR off) I feel like it didnt have any effect.

jroug

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
I'm using a 12 on ios 17 & this problem occurs daily - reset works but problem resumes within 24 hours. Super-frustrating, still no fix? I've tried everything here except getting a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.