Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leggee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
Since the update my Bluetooth speaker is causing chaos with my iPad. It’s showing as paired like normal but videos in my photo app won’t play. More annoying is that the whole iPad becomes super buggy—even on the Lock Screen with widgets not working as normal. As soon as I unpair the speaker everything is back to normal. The same speaker is working fine with my phone running ios17. I tried a different speaker and the same issues. Anyone any ideas?

perlindholm

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
I would recommend trying a few things before contacting Apple Support:

1. Restart both your iPad and the Bluetooth speaker: Sometimes a simple restart can fix any software glitches that may be causing the issue.

2. Forget the Bluetooth connection on both devices and pair them again: Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPad and tap on the "i" next to the speaker's name. Then, tap on "Forget This Device." Then, pair the speaker again.

3. Update the firmware on your Bluetooth speaker: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your speaker and update it if there are.

4. Reset network settings on your iPad: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will reset all network settings on your iPad, including Bluetooth connections.

5. Check for software updates on your iPad: Go to Settings > General > Software Update and check if there are any updates available. Install them if there are.
6. Contact Apple Support: If none of the above solutions work, it's best to contact Apple Support for further assistance. They may be able to identify and fix the issue for you.
I hope one of these solutions helps fix the issue with your Bluetooth speaker and iPad. If not, contacting Apple Support would be the best course of action

Leggee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
Thanks for the reply. I have tried all of the above. I have since installed the new iOS 17 to another iPad and the exact same thing is now happening on that. I’ve tried a total of 6 different Bluetooth speakers and all with the same results, even to the point that the iPad sometimes freezes totally. One strange result was trying a ten year old Bluetooth speaker running Bluetooth 2.0 and THAT worked fine!! Maybe a case of the new iOS not playing well with recent Bluetooth devices?

Leggee

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Japan
So I finally figured a work around of sorts. When a Bluetooth speaker is connected it’s freezing a lot of the iPad. To avoid this, go to the Bluetooth in settings and tap the “i” next to the device you want to use. Choose “other” and this this solves the problem. When it’s set to “speaker” that’s when the problem arises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.