Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Here’s what you will need:
PwnageTool 4.2
Access to iOS 4.3 GM firmware
iTunes 10.2
Mac OS X
PwnageTool bundle for iOS 4.3 GM
Universal Ramdisk Fixer
tetheredboot utility
Oh, it that all you'll need? Jeebus, you'd have to want it pretty damn bad to go through all that crap just for a tethered JB. Why do they even bother?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
So far I've found that it's a lot smoother overall. Folders open quickly and smoothly without hiccups and moving icons is quicker to activate. In fact, all animations seem smoother. Of course this is the first time I've restored my iP4 since I got it last June so it could be attributed to a clean install. Not sure.

So far I haven't gotten Cydia to work but I also haven't had time to run the tethered boot commands either and that seemed to fix the issue with the 4.2.1 tethered boot.

I'm happy. We'll see how I feel once I try the tethered boot tomorrow.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Its a tethered bootrom JB that will always be there.
Not untethered;)

This isn't untethered either though. Why is it news that it's already ready, I thought that was the point of a bootrom jailbreak (I'm really not trying to be rude, I just don't understand the nuances of how this is news or is better than the standard tethered-jailbreak offered by the limera1n exploit)?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
An advantage to this 'solution' is it will keep you busy until the 4.3 Greenpoison solution is released on Friday. :D

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This isn't untethered either though. Why is it news that it's already ready, I thought that was the point of a bootrom jailbreak (I'm really not trying to be rude, I just don't understand the nuances of how this is news or is better than the standard tethered-jailbreak offered by the limera1n exploit)?
It's only news because those of us without any knowledge of how to get the current versions of jailbreaking tools to work with 4.3 can now jailbreak it relatively easily (as long as you can follow instructions). It does require a new 4.3 bundle which, as far as I can tell, isn't just an easily editable text or xml file.

justjill3

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
Help. Can't paste bundle.

I am following the Redmond guide. I have dwnlded Pwnage Tool 4.2 and the 4.3 bundle. I right-clicked on the pineapple then worked my way to "FirmwareBundle", but I can't paste the bundle into that folder. I have tried copy/paste. I have tried to drag and drop. I get the circle w/ a slash! What am I doing wrong?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
An advantage to this 'solution' is it will keep you busy until the 4.3 Greenpoison solution is released on Friday. :D
Hardly. I can't seem to get Cydia to run. Has anyone been able to get it to work? I thought it was supposed to be working.

[EDIT] Others seems to be having no issues with Cydia so I'm going to try rebelling my ipsw (I'm adding my favorite apps/tweaks this time) then restoring. Crossing fingers. If not, I'll try being un-jailbroken for a week. The smoothness is killer.

I am following the Redmond guide. I have dwnlded Pwnage Tool 4.2 and the 4.3 bundle. I right-clicked on the pineapple then worked my way to "FirmwareBundle", but I can't paste the bundle into that folder. I have tried copy/paste. I have tried to drag and drop. I get the circle w/ a slash! What am I doing wrong?
You unzipped it right? What about permissions? Make sure you have them (they can get messed up).

Last edited:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Hardly. I can't seem to get Cydia to run. Has anyone been able to get it to work? I thought it was supposed to be working.

I don't understand your 'Hardly' comment. You started this thread almost 2 days ago and you still do not have it working.

justjill3

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
You unzipped it right? What about permissions? Make sure you have them (they can get messed up).[/QUOTE]

I am on Step 3 of the guide and have seen no mention of permissions. Please explain.:eek:

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
I'll try rebooting but it booted fine using the terminal commands. Maybe something went wrong *shrugs*

This was my problem...

nevermind, had grabbed the wrong iBSS and kernelcache files from the os, got them from the stock os and not the custom one..that fixed my problem, thanks!

...once I did that and it booted up and cydia opened up fine. Only thing is though all my main apps didnt work so I'm back to 4.2.1. Intelliscreen, bitesms both don't work in 4.3.

justjill3

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
I am on Step 3 of the guide and have seen no mention of permissions. Please explain.:eek:
Right Click Get Info on the file. At the bottom make sure your username says "read & write"[/QUOTE]

Will try this. Meanwhile, I am trying many ways to get the bundle into the FirmwareBundle folder and I got the message below via one of my attempts. Don't know if this offers clues. I'm new to MAC, so I am trying to catch on to the differences.

The document “iPhone3,1_4.3_8F190.bundle” could not be opened. PwnageTool cannot open files in the “PwnageTool Document” format.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This was my problem...

nevermind, had grabbed the wrong iBSS and kernelcache files from the os, got them from the stock os and not the custom one..that fixed my problem, thanks!

...once I did that and it booted up and cydia opened up fine. Only thing is though all my main apps didnt work so I'm back to 4.2.1. Intelliscreen, bitesms both don't work in 4.3.
That's what I did (I even made sure after reading your post but maybe I got mixed up). I'll try moving them again.

[EDIT] No, still won't open. Baaa.

[EDIT 2] Great Success! I was pulling them from the stock like you said but you need to pull them from the custom ipsw for it to work. You have it worded backwards! Woohoo! Thanks.

Last edited:

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
That's what I did (I even made sure after reading your post but maybe I got mixed up). I'll try moving them again.

[EDIT] No, still won't open. Baaa.

[EDIT 2] Great Success! I was pulling them from the stock like you said but you need to pull them from the custom ipsw for it to work. You have it worded backwards! Woohoo! Thanks.

Sorry guess I worded it bad..I meant they needed to be pulled from the custom ipsw. Glad it worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.