Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is good, just download it already, iOS 7 is fantastic, all I want from it is a mobile network toggle in Control Center and faster animations.

In time, you will get used to iOS 7 and will never look back.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
To all the "Get iOS 7, for god's sake!" sayers: I helped my father to slowly get used to iOS 6 and its functions on the iPad I bought him. He's old, not really tech-savvy and for the first time with an iOS update, a lot of thing really changed. There's no need to update his iPad to iOS 7, on the contrary: It would definitely decrease his experience.

At the moment, my father has about 2,3 GB left on his iPad - does this mean that the update won't download automatically? Is the only chance to keep the free space under 3 GB and wait for a Jailbreak for 6.1.4 to install something from the Cydia store that prevents this forever??

Damn it, Apple.

Last edited:

c.cam108

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
East Kilbride, UK
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is developers who have to keep the old version of iOS around for testing.

I've got an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 here that I need to keep on iOS 6 to maintain compatibility in my apps. Both of them have automatically downloaded iOS 7. If these devices are auto-upgraded, or I accidentally tap on the update alert, I'm kinda stuck for ensuring compatibility, since not even developers can downgrade.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
So this is what, 2% of iPhone users. BFD. For the rest if us it's a great addition.

You're never going to please everyone. So please as many as you can. That's exactly what Apple has done.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
So this is what, 2% of iPhone users. BFD. For the rest if us it's a great addition.

You're never going to please everyone. So please as many as you can. That's exactly what Apple has done.

It's not a decision of either - or. Would it really be different if these 3GB didn't download directly, but one of those blue pop-up appears: "Do you want to download/install iOS7?". Same adaptation rate of the new system. Or give us a choice turning the download off in the setting - with default on "on", if they want to, dammit. Apple would keep the non-tech-savvy which they are aiming for on updating exactly the same.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
How ignorant. If someone chooses not update, that's their business. Just remember what you said when you are forced to do something you don't want to do, such as when your parents forced you to eat your vegetables at dinner tonight.

Wait... Is that last part an actual thread? On MacRumors? Oh god please link me to that.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
So why wouldn't you want it? It performs better than iOS 6 on the same hardware. My 3 year old iPhone 4 is like a brand new phone. Performance is better all around, especially activating the camera. That used to drive me NUTS in iOS 6! Sometimes it would take 10 seconds or more for the camera to become active. Now it's nearly instant in iOS 7.

I did not have a similar experience with my 4.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Was this for specific models only? My wife's iPad2 had to be manually updated through Settings. Also if you don't have the 3GB space it CAN'T download anyway. Also you have to be on wifi to be able to download the update.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why the hell are people complaining? OTA updates are nothing new and the process of a major upgrade OTA is nothing new. If this was such an issue, why did these people upgrade or buy a new device when OTA updates first became available on iOS? Sounds like these people need to plan better when a major update is imminent, which they had plenty of notification prior to. SMFH, idiots...

This is the question I have. Has something changed with iOS 7? Or is the media once again outraged by something that has previously existed? IOS 7 didn't just magically install on my phone. I had to accept terms and conditions before the install started.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
This is the question I have. Has something changed with iOS 7? Or is the media once again outraged by something that has previously existed? IOS 7 didn't just magically install on my phone. I had to accept terms and conditions before the install started.

I'm not sure if the previous OTA updates downloaded (and even installed) themselves. However, WHAT I am sure about is that this is quite a special case with its HUGE 3 GB size - instead of OTA point updates which, as far as I know, were much smaller incremental updates... (I see much less of a problem if there are 80 MB pre-downloaded on my device even if I don't use and install it.)

And what about claims like "You're not forced to enable automatic over-the-air-updates" I read in this thread? I thought the whole point of the rage is that you can NOT disable this 3 GB download...?! It's not about installing or not, it's about having this big file using your iDevice storing even if you want to stay on iOS 6.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I get headaches, dizziness, and blurry vision when looking at ios7. Visually impaired individuals should have the option to continue having the phone they paid for, and not have stress and inconvenience forced upon them. Just like when I repurchased the same 4S months later, the storage space (for the same phone- same price!) 32G to 16G... Where can I get real help online? Suggestions?

There's an option. "Reduce Motion" in the Accessibility panel.

----------

The performance boost unfortunately doesn't happen for everyone. I question whether the increased performance is anything more than a placebo effect. My iPhone 4 and 3rd-gen iPad are notably slower.

My 4S had some odd lag issues, but resetting settings fixed them for whatever reason.

Anyone remember when switching phones/factory wiping meant you had to re-add all of your contacts? Good times.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm not sure if the previous OTA updates downloaded (and even installed) themselves. However, WHAT I am sure about is that this is quite a special case with its HUGE 3 GB size - instead of OTA point updates which, as far as I know, were much smaller incremental updates... (I see much less of a problem if there are 80 MB pre-downloaded on my device even if I don't use and install it.)

And what about claims like "You're not forced to enable automatic over-the-air-updates" I read in this thread? I thought the whole point of the rage is that you can NOT disable this 3 GB download...?! It's not about installing or not, it's about having this big file using your iDevice storing even if you want to stay on iOS 6.

So the 3GB installation file downloads to your device and you can't remove it? What if you don't have 3GB free space? I know I didn't and made a point of freeing up space right before I did the update.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
Have you spent any time with it? You'll find that flat is not so bad. When I first heard that iOS 7 was going to be "flat", I said "yuck!", but it's more than just a flat UI, it's an entirely different approach that works really well. Depth was added in a different way.

Thanks Johnny..

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
My wife's 4s got upgraded with out her permission, and went to reboot and said connect to iTunes :()
Everything was lost as she doesn't do updates or wants to, she just wants to have the phone to use, she was Not happy at all!!!

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
It's not heaven on a 4. Slower, and not as pretty without all the translucency. Ditto with an ipad3! So all it's greatness is only supported on iPad 4 (a measly 6 months newer). It's white interface is meh. The app switcher is lame. Folders are lame. Notifications are messy. Control center is cool.

I am using it on an iPad 3...and I honestly have no clue as to what your talking about. I have noticed little or no performance issues.

Last edited:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
To all the "Get iOS 7, for god's sake!" sayers: I helped my father to slowly get used to iOS 6 and its functions on the iPad I bought him. He's old, not really tech-savvy and for the first time with an iOS update, a lot of thing really changed. There's no need to update his iPad to iOS 7, on the contrary: It would definitely decrease his experience.

At the moment, my father has about 2,3 GB left on his iPad - does this mean that the update won't download automatically? Is the only chance to keep the free space under 3 GB and wait for a Jailbreak for 6.1.4 to install something from the Cydia store that prevents this forever??

Damn it, Apple.

It's only ~750MB that is downloaded, and...yes keeping free space under that would almost certainly keep it from being downloaded (unless Apple has something 'magical' up their sleeves...or a TARDIS app).

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
My wife's 4s got upgraded with out her permission, and went to reboot and said connect to iTunes :()
Everything was lost as she doesn't do updates or wants to, she just wants to have the phone to use, she was Not happy at all!!!

Not doing updates is a security risk. If she just wants a phone, why have a smartphone...save money.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
So the 3GB installation file downloads to your device and you can't remove it? What if you don't have 3GB free space? I know I didn't and made a point of freeing up space right before I did the update.

If I understand the rage correctly – yes, indeed: A 3GB file will download on your iDevice no matter what you do (no "disable automatic OTA update downloads" in the settings) and after that, you get the red "1" on the settings icon and can't delete this file even if you have no intention to install iOS 7. (As the file is "only" about 1GB big when you download it on iTunes, maybe the rest is "blocked space" on your iPad for installation?) The file won't download as long as you have too less space left.

That's how I understand the infos I get here.

EDIT:

It's only ~750MB that is downloaded, and...yes keeping free space under that would almost certainly keep it from being downloaded (unless Apple has something 'magical' up their sleeves...or a TARDIS app).

Just saw this ... So "only" 750 MB and not 3GB? Where does the second number come from, is this the free space you need to have on your iDevice when finally choosing to install?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
So why wouldn't you want it? It performs better than iOS 6 on the same hardware. My 3 year old iPhone 4 is like a brand new phone. Performance is better all around, especially activating the camera. That used to drive me NUTS in iOS 6! Sometimes it would take 10 seconds or more for the camera to become active. Now it's nearly instant in iOS 7.
Multiple reasons:
1. Some people just don't like the new UI. They prefer the old one. This especially goes for less-internet-savy folks who barely use the bells and whistles of the iPhone - and who by the way bought an iPhone for simplicity

2. Some people have a GPP or Gevey SIM for their Verizon or Sprint phone that they paid fully for yet cannot use on a MVNO (unless they use a SIM). Upgrade = iPod touch

3. Some business critical apps are still not certified with iOS 7. Upgrade = Loosing access to work email and intranet. Showstopper.

4. Some people, like me, would rather have the rest of the world do the beta testing for Apple before they jump ship.

5. I'm glad your experience with the 4 has been positive; a lot of people said the 4 crawls with iOS 7.

Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Different folks, different strokes.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

She or you must have hit install accidentally, besides this article isn't about automatic installs, it's about automatic downloads (iirc, even in iOS 7 you have to manually hit "install").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.