Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your Battery Life better or worse?

• Yes, my battery life is noticeably better

Votes: 94 25.1%
  • No, my battery life seems to be a bit worse

Votes: 192 51.3%
  • It's too early to tell. It's my opinion that you shouldn't be able to tell yet.

Votes: 88 23.5%

• Total voters

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
So what are the steps you took to fix this issue?

Posted it a page or so back.

Basically you need to remove your iCloud account, then put it back on... and disable the following in this order - Photo Sharing, My Photo Stream, and then Documents and Data... this kills mstreamd until a phone reboot (in which case you can re-enable those and disable them again in that order)

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
iPhone Owners Complain that iOS 7.1 Update Causes the Battery to Drain Faster

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/iphone-owners-complain-that-ios-7-1-update-causes-the-79555370333.html

iPhone Owners Complain that iOS 7.1 Update Causes the Battery to Drain Faster

Alyssa Bereznak
Mar 14, 2014

Most people agree that Apple’s latest update to iOS 7 has made everything on the iPhone faster. Unfortunately, that might also include the battery drain.

According to complaints on Twitter and Apple’s discussion forums, the new iOS 7.1 software has caused some iPhone owners’ batteries to die quicker.

Now, we’re not sure if the Twitter complaints are entirely reliable, since we don’t know which version any of these folks are updating from. The tech site Ars Technica ran some tests and found that though the update from iOS 6 to iOS 7 carried a “statistically significant drop in battery life,” the update from iOS 7.0 to iOS 7.1 did not materially affect iPhone or iPad battery usage.

That said, these complaints are multiplying, and Yahoo Tech’s Rafe Needleman, who updated from iOS 7.06, says his iPhone has been intermittently rebooting since he downloaded the system (a problem that iOS 7.1 was supposed to fix).

Some have suggested reinstalling the software via iTunes to work out the kinks, though it’s not clear if that will actually help the problem. Apple has yet to acknowledge any issues.

Apple released iOS 7.1, its first major update to the redesigned iOS 7 mobile operating system, on Monday.

Annoying, right? But look on the bright side: At least there’s no security breach in this update.

While we wait for an improvement, here’s a handy list of things you can do to help keep your battery healthy, and a few tips on extending your phone’s life in desperate times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
And? This kind of post is really quite useless as each users usage pattern is different. Caution: don't believe everything you read on Twitter. For me and family 7.1 shows much better battery usage.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Isnt that the complaint with every new update since 2008. According to that logic we should be down to 15 min battery life.

Most are just trolls.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
To be honest, as long as my phone is still on when I crawl into bed for the night I'm happy whether the battery is at 60% or 2%. On average my battery is somewhere between 40% and 60% at the end of a normal usage day. The difference between iOS 7.0.x and 7.1, if any, is negligible.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
YAAWWN! iOS 7.1 battery ...

Including every x.x.x update, I cannot recall one single Apple update where people haven't immediately come rushing to these forums to claim the update "drains the battery faster" after updating.

I've owned every iPhone since 3GS and downloaded every update available to me and have never ever noticed a significant increase and decrease, all have always pretty much got me through the day and charge every night, with the exception of draining far too quickly when travelling.

To me, the battery is the next big change the mobile world needs to see. They can get as thin, light, hi res as they want but someone needs to really "revolutionise" the battery.

But let's not pretend every single time there's a tiny little update that the battery suddenly gets worse otherwise we'd be down to about an hour between each charge with how often people claim it's happened

escdrift

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2014
what needs to happen is the phone takes the heat from your hands and fingertips & swiping motion energy and converts it into battery life.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Believe it or not - possibly.

Even after removing iCloud by deleting the account entirely, the mstreamd process remained (even after rebooting with iCloud removed).

Very weird is all I can say... the only way to actually kill this runaway system process is by disabling it carefully within the iCloud settings... but like I said, it seems to come back every reboot regardless.

You can download a system monitor app to see which processes are running and monitor it... basically take note of the system ID... each process is given an ID, and mstreamd keeps restarting (thus keeps getting a new ID)... mine was in the thousands earlier - so that effectively means it has been on a loop all day draining battery and preventing my phone properly sleeping

I don't have that process on my devices...

Edit: the process is only present in the iPhone, not in the iPad Air, but it isn't causing any battery drain.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Posted it a page or so back.

Basically you need to remove your iCloud account, then put it back on... and disable the following in this order - Photo Sharing, My Photo Stream, and then Documents and Data... this kills mstreamd until a phone reboot (in which case you can re-enable those and disable them again in that order)

That could work for your iPhone, but it's not a widespread bug. I have iCloud enabled and I don't have any battery drain (99% after 8 hrs standby) nor that process active.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Following the clean restore I made last night (set up as new):

Today I took a ~5 hour drive, moving into zones with no service a few times, and a lot of the time only having 1-2 bars of service. At the start of the drive, I had 100% battery (fully charged beforehand). At the end of the drive, I took a screen shot of my battery life (the first picture). 100%. During this time I only checked my phone 4-5 times to see what the battery was at. It wasn't in airplane mode, and I only got a one message throughout the duration of the drive.

After getting back, I wanted to test if my theory is correct. Which is - the phone doesn't drain during standby, and only during screen on time. I tried to test something that would use little battery. I used the paper app for 5 minutes, and lost 2% battery immediately (second picture). After that, I took a break and then scrolled through some of my pictures in the photos app for 7 minutes. After that I was at 95% battery (third image).

What do you all think??

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 123
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 126

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
My 5 and 5s had pretty bad drain for the first day or two after updating 7.06-->7.1 but last night only went from 100% to 99% overnight. Wifi off and Bluetooth off. I'm guessing it was resyncing a lot of stuff to icloud, or recalibrating the meter, or both, but everything is fine now. I think the best suggestion was in another thread : just turn off the percentage meter and go on with life!!!

I'm done messing with my phone so I'm hoping it stops being weird in a couple days. I'm going to keep all apps (except for 2-3 essentials) off my phone, and keep iCloud, Location Services, and Background App Refresh off as well. At least for a couple days to see if it stops draining during screen on time.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Including every x.x.x update, I cannot recall one single Apple update where people haven't immediately come rushing to these forums to claim the update "drains the battery faster" after updating.

I've owned every iPhone since 3GS and downloaded every update available to me and have never ever noticed a significant increase and decrease, all have always pretty much got me through the day and charge every night, with the exception of draining far too quickly when travelling.

To me, the battery is the next big change the mobile world needs to see. They can get as thin, light, hi res as they want but someone needs to really "revolutionise" the battery.

But let's not pretend every single time there's a tiny little update that the battery suddenly gets worse otherwise we'd be down to about an hour between each charge with how often people claim it's happened

This !!!!!!

Every time is the same whining about "battery drain" and people on the forum suggesting the most exotic solutions to solve the problem.
For someone is just a corrupted installation, or a corrupted restore of previously installed apps.
For most is just their imagination ....

So far I'm very happy about iOS 7.1 : it is what iOS 7 should have been several months ago.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
7.0.3 gave me the best battery life. I def saw a decline in 7.0.4 & 7.0.6 was the worst. 7.1 Looks like it's getting back to where it was w/ 7.0.3.
Same type of usage. Same battery saving settings setup.
Only thing that sucks is I lost my jailbreak. But then again, the stability on my 5s is rock solid.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
i think the battery drain is in peoples heads. its fine.

So the ARS Technica bench tests for iOS7 were a load of rubbish? They clearly show a shortening of the battery life since iOS6 and in the case of the iPhone 5, a significant shortening. This has been experienced by every iPhone 5 user that I know.
The ARS Technica bench tests also clearly show a slight reduction in battery life between iOS 7.0.6 and 7.1 and although nothing dramatic, MOST users were hoping for a mammoth *improvement* in battery life.

For sure, we always see posts bemoaning poor battery life after every iOS update and yes, they are almost always down to a poor installation or corruption which a clean install and setting the phone up as 'new' will cure. This will be the case for people with the worst problems in this latest update too. However, it is not the case for everyone. iOS7 absolutely IS a much bigger drain than iOS6 and this is totally unacceptable, especially for the stripped down and basic looking thing we ended up with!

Last edited:

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
battery much worse for me on 7.1

At first I thought the dismal battery life after updating my 5S to 7.1 was a one time thing.

So I charged it fully and by noon it had drained to 15%. What a shocking experience. I used to easily go all day, but now I'm getting exactly half the run time as before 7.1.

What the heck is Apple doing?

They are so careless, they must have known about this but shipped it anyway. Knowing they have plenty of excuse makers within the customer base to defend the problem no matter how bad, they are really abusing the faith their worshipers show them.

Wonder how long before they fix this, or will they blame the users? Time will tell.

It's nearly impossible to trust Apple anymore, a sad fact indeed.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
what needs to happen is the phone takes the heat from your hands and fingertips & swiping motion energy and converts it into battery life.

Holy crap that is genius. Nerve Impulse charging. With Healthbook coming to iOS 8, maybe we're not that far away ;)

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Thanks for your input. Mines a 32GB 5s and I had the same situation as you, except mine hasn't gone back to normal yet :D. I'm going to do what I stated above, then wait 2-3 days. Do you mind me asking what your settings are for Location Services, Photo Stream, and iCloud functions?

Location Services are ON for all my apps that use it (I currently have 317 apps on my iPhone).

I don't use Photo Stream so it is OFF.

For iCloud, I have Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari, Passbook and "Find My iPhone" all set to ON. The rest are OFF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.